safe plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Any recommendations for safe, easy to grow plants I can put in my brand new amazing table my fiance just built?! Pics soon...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I think that you can purchase some wheatgrass, clovers and some actually have success with dandelions, but I believe you will want to add a plant style grow light as well....and you can also grow some trays of grass that you can put in and let the tortoise graze down and then rotate out with other trays of grown items....wait around a bit and others will offer up their suggestions as well....:D

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I recently bought some seed from sulcatafood.com . Growing nicely after three weeks. As mentioned by others many trays grown outside rotated into indoor inclosure.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Morty the Torty said:
What kind of trays are good for growing seeds in?

It really all depends on your enclosure. The trays need to be flush with the surface of your substrate. If you have a large enough table you can cut a hole large enough to drop in something like kitty litter trays. If not you are limited to the depth of your substrate.
My table is still small for my little guys. I got some plastic shoe storage boxes(96 cents Walmart). Cut them flush with my substrate (3 inches for me). Poked some holes with a hot nail (less chance of cracking plastic). Dirt seeds done.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I think that you can purchase some wheatgrass, clovers and some actually have success with dandelions, but I believe you will want to add a plant style grow light as well....and you can also grow some trays of grass that you can put in and let the tortoise graze down and then rotate out with other trays of grown items....wait around a bit and others will offer up their suggestions as well....:D

He's eaten like 3 dandelions I've transplanted, but I found an aloe plant and some angel plants for shade...nothing he seems to eat. I am for sure growing the grass though! I bought the seed pan with all the table materials. Next time I have extra cash, I'm logging on to sulcataseeds.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.