Safe to plant in enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Are these plants safe to plant in an enclosure housing a baby Indotestudo forstenii?
  • Zebra Plant (Aphelandra squarrosa)
  • Asparagus (Asparagus plumosus)
  • Purple Passion (Gynura aurantiaca)

Zebra Plant:
zebra-plant-aphelandra-squarrosa.jpg

Asparagus:
Asparagus%20sprengeri-1.jpg

Purple Passion:
purple-passion.jpg

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Zebra plant is safe. But not recommended as a normal food source.

And I only see the Red passion being okay. I don't know if there is a difference :p

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
If i provide foods such as carrots, kale, and the like for regular food source, will the tortoise still eat the stuff growing in his tank? i'm planting this stuff in an indoor enclosure. I have four zebra plants, 2 asparagus, and 2 purple passions.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
They might be curious but if you feed them a varied diet and feed when hungry you should be okay.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
I bought the zebra plants and purple passion because i have used both for chameleons, as they are on several safe-plant lists for them. So if they're safe for chameleons, maybe they're safe for tortoises...? Idk :/ Is the asparagus a problem?

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Easy on the kale and if I remember correctly Asparagus is a no-no.

Now that I actuallysee the pic... that's an asparagus fern. It's not toxic but I doubt they'll eat much of it

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
The asparagus thing i have is much smaller, but yeah... it's kinda fuzzy feeling with tiny leaves. I suppose it is a fern. It's fine with me if he doesn't eat the decorations in his tank lol. i just don't want him to get sick if he gets curious and eats some.

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
I think there is a good chance that your asparagus plumosa contains sapogenins as does asparagus densiflorus cv sprengeri which we have in our yard. It's on the ASPCA toxic list for dogs and cats primarily because berry ingestion can cause vomiting or diarrhea. I think tortoises can tolerate sapogenins in moderation "as part of a balanced diet," but I would pick the berries off before they become a problem.

Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.