What are these plants, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
These plants are in my backyard in the lawn. My backyard is pesticide and fertilizer free, so I would like to give my new baby as much backyard fresh food as possible. I am not very good at identifying plants. I am in Ontario, Canada, if that helps. Thank you

The plant with the circular leaves:
2013-05-26 10.09.25.jpg

The purple-flowered plant:
2013-05-26 10.12.30.jpg

Could this be a herb:
2013-05-26 10.16.09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In the first pic I see clover dandelion and broadleaf plantain. All good foods.

I don't know the second or third either.

EKLC

5 Year Member
The violets are good to eat

#3 is some type of chickweed I think (mouseear or sticky)

natureguy

5 Year Member
Pic #1 is Plantain (Plantago major) There is a ornamental purple leaved form from Turkey which may be considered more nutritious and Common Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Both very edible and nutritious herbs for Tortoises AND humans. If leaves are too "tough" remove the stringy veins or use younger leaves. Probably not good as staple as at least in humans act as a diaretic. They were brought here as food by our ancesters.

Pic #2 Is perennial Sweet Violet (Viola odorata) If look very carefully just to the right-upper-center is a plant with smaller leaves and that is most likely annual Johnny-Jump-Ups (Viola tricolor) Both commonly spread through gardens with summer moisture. Viola include Pansies, other annual violas and many native perennial species all are edible to tortoises and humans.
Sweet clover is the more noticeable plant with 3-leaflets. Edible again by both.
IMPORTANT: note that there is a very similar 3-leaf plant that is smaller in this pic. That is Oxalis. It is a very common and often noxious weed as it explodes its seed pod scattering seed as much as 3 feet!!! I do not know a whole lot about it other than probably not very good except once in a while. It contains high amounts of oxalic acid which can accumulate or possibly cause accumulation of other elements that are potentially harmful. You can tell the difference by chewing on a leaf that to you looks like clover. If it has a sour lemony kind of taste that is Oxalis! Clover has more of a bland taste in comparison.
Another weed in the pic is most likely Sow Thistle or perhaps wild lettuce. Its young basil leaves look a lot like Dandelion leaves except are not as deeply cut. They are edible.

Pic #3 I hesitate in ID for this as could be several things. Please post a pic with flowers. IFFF indeed it is Chickweed it is definitely good to eat (again by both). Chickweed has tiny white flowers held close to the stem as I recall.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.