What are these plants?

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
We have a garden in the backyard that houses various plants and are wondering if someone could help ID some of them. I've been looking at the tortoise table to try to figure out what they are, but no luck.

The two shown are the same plant, but seem to be some sort of lettuce.
IMG_8812.JPGIMG_8841.JPG

This one seems to me to be bougainvillea flowers, which can be fed in moderation according to the tortoise table.
FullSizeRender.jpg
This one kind of looks like basil, but I'm not sure.
IMG_8839.JPG
IMG_8814.JPG
Thanks in advance!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If the green ones taste sour, they’re sorrel.

Opinions vary. Some owners will avoid this because it’s high in oxalates, which can bad for mammals. Whether it’s bad for tortoises is not clear.

I wouldn’t worry giving this to my Russian from time to time; I don’t worry about oxalates much, as she has an extremely varied diet. As you are a new owner of a baby, you might feel more comfortable not feeding it.

If it is sorrel, I’m a bit surprised snails and caterpillars haven’t eaten more of it. Mine never leave me any. :/

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
If the green ones taste sour, they’re sorrel.

Opinions vary. Some owners will avoid this because it’s high in oxalates, which can bad for mammals. Whether it’s bad for tortoises is not clear.

I wouldn’t worry giving this to my Russian from time to time; I don’t worry about oxalates much, as she has an extremely varied diet. As you are a new owner of a baby, you might feel more comfortable not feeding it.

If it is sorrel, I’m a bit surprised snails and caterpillars haven’t eaten more of it. Mine never leave me any. :/

Great, thanks! I try to be a bit wary of new plants to introduce to him because I don't really know which ones they are, but I will do some more research to figure out what's good for him to eat!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Baby tortoises are very vulnerable to toxic plants.
I know of a case where a baby tortoise ate some poinciana flowers and was dead the next day.
Just feed them a recommended and varied diet and don't take any chances.