What is this weed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
We took Spike out yesterday and let him explore the plant bed, and he decided to nibble on some of these plants. I am not sure what kind they are, but I am hoping someone can help me ID them to see if they were safe for him to eat or not. I've browsed the Tortoise Table Plant Database to try to figure out which weed (I think it's a weed) it is, but am not too certain of its identity.

For some context clues, it grows in a plant bed where various fruits (dragonfruit and guava) and plants (roses, palm trees) exist, and the location is Southern California, if that helps.

Thanks!

20171104_170542102_iOS.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree, tomato plant. Not good.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Yeah Tomato. It's not a crisis if they eat some it is NOT toxic. Really. That said, it is not an ideal plant to feed.

Thanks for the words! I managed to snag some hibiscus flowers to feed him today, and he seemed pretty happy with them!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Yes. In another post of a positive tomato ID, @Will pointed out that it is only a misconception that tomato plants are toxic. This is because tomato is related to nightshade.
I may have to try tomato leaves in some of my own cooking this summer after learning this.

Status
Not open for further replies.