What are these plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have been looking around at different weeds online, and have some names of what I think they are but could not find much information on if they are safe or not (edible). I have this stuff all over my yard so I want to be sure I pull it out if they are unsafe.

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
SnakeyeZ said:
I have been looking around at different weeds online, and have some names of what I think they are but could not find much information on if they are safe or not (edible). I have this stuff all over my yard so I want to be sure I pull it out if they are unsafe.

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

It's hard to tell exactly what they are. The third one especially, since it's so young. I suggest you clip a bit of each and take the sample to a local nursery or extension office. They might be more help than searching online, since they'll know what kind of plants grow in your area.

You could even ask some of your neighbors. It's possible that a seed from their yard was generously dropped by a bird into yours.

If you do take a sample to someone for identification, bring as large a sample as you can. Leaves, stems, stalks, even the roots if you're able.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
2nd picture is poison ivy 1st picture is a clover and the last one is sometype of weed sorry on yhe last one lol :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the first one might be creeping charlie. I've heard it said here on the forum that its toxic.

The second one is some sort of vine...I've never learned its name, it might be called bind weed, but I'm not sure it grows in my YF pen and they don't eat it.

The last one is related to purselane, but I don't know its name. . It is unpalatable too.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks! I'll just continue pulling it up like I have been. The "creeping charlie" is ALL over the place. I"ll be sure to get to it if it gets into my tortoise areas.

Turtle Guru said:
2nd picture is poison ivy 1st picture is a clover and the last one is sometype of weed sorry on yhe last one lol :p

Second one certainly is not poison ivy... I know what poison ivy is. It is some sorta of vine or ivy though. I have it all over as well. It's very nice looking, but I'll keep it away from the tortoises anyway.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yeah that first on isn't clover, I agree it looks like creeping charlie

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
1 Creaping charlie (Glechoma hederacea)

2 Morning glory (maybe Convolvulus arvensis)

3 I have no idea

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
#1-Creeping Charlie-toxic in raw form

#2-Is not poison ivy. Not sure what it is but very generally speaking many true vine plants are toxic in different levels and should be avoided as tortoise food.

#3-Purslane-Okay to feed in small quantities as part of a varied diet. It is high in calcium and vitamin A but also contains considerable oxalic acid and phosphorus.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Turtle Guru said:

I agree the second one is definately from the ivy family.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Nuber 3 is one of the plants listed in the fist "sticky" for the plant topic.

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) - edible

redbeef

5 Year Member
1 is definitely not a clover, but i can't say what it is. a flower might help in narrowing it down but if people on here say it is creeping charlie go w/that and play it safe.

2 is some sort of morning glory. vine and leaf structure is consistent w/what i see here in plowed agricultural land...if you have some away from your tortoise you could let it flower and see if it produces a typical morning glory style flower (cone shaped, probably off white to purplish). I think morning glory are considered to be generally toxic.

3 looks like some sort of chenopodium, which is in the amaranth family. I seem to recall lists where amaranths were undesirable but not toxic food: high in oxalic acid and so calcium binding(?). leaves do not look succulent/fleshy enough for Portulaca oleracea (purselane).

Status
Not open for further replies.