Safe wood

Whitesidej92

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus
I am looking to build my sulcata a wooden enclosure. Am I able to use pine wood? If not what type of wood is safe? Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm assuming it's for OUTSIDE?
There is some debate about the old pressure treated wood containing arsenic. But I use and have used pressure treated lumber in every outdoor enclosure I've ever built.
It lasts for years too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It would be for indoor.
Then your issue will be making it moisture/mold proof.
Most keepers line their wooden enclosure structures with pond liner or shower curtains.
There are also many keepers that use giant plastic totes. Etc. Depending on the current size of the tortoise.

Whitesidej92

Columbus
Then your issue will be making it moisture/mold proof.
Most keepers line their wooden enclosure structures with pond liner or shower curtains.
There are also many keepers that use giant plastic totes. Etc. Depending on the current size of the tortoise.
Id line with a linear. Im looking to do something 4x8 or 4x6 for inside. Just trying to find the right wood. Im reading so much about this wood is bad then others say its okay etc. I don't think I can find a tote that big.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Id line with a linear. Im looking to do something 4x8 or 4x6 for inside. Just trying to find the right wood. Im reading so much about this wood is bad then others say its okay etc. I don't think I can find a tote that big.
I keep my RF outside 24/7
I'd hoped that someone who's built a large indoors enclosure would've responded by now

Whitesidej92

Columbus
Once he gets a bit bigger my plans are to move him outside when it is warm. In the winters it can get to - degrees. So he’ll stay in the house during the cold months.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you have a HD or Lowes nearby, check out their 2x12 dimensional lumber (Fir or Pine)

➡️ https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-...nd-Better-Douglas-Fir-Lumber-707195/202094201

Of course dimensional PVC boards are great, but expensive too.

➡️➡️ https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda...-ft-White-PVC-Trim-3-Pack-827000007/203640260

I used pine for our enclosures, then triple coated with Kilz. No issues with Mildew or rot. Covered the bottom & sides with thick tarp-like plastic, then a ton of mulch & coir.

Pressure treated is fine to use as well. They no longer use those nasty chemicals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am looking to build my sulcata a wooden enclosure. Am I able to use pine wood? If not what type of wood is safe? Thanks.

In my experience wood is not the way to go. I built many over the years and all of them rotted due to the necessary moisture and humidity. I switched to PVC a few years back and its been easy street ever since. There is nothing you can buy off the shelf that works to protect it. You can use non toxic boat paint, but that will cost a couple hundred or more for paint and primer. You could use "Pond Shield". That will cost around $200 once you get all the stuff and its very tricky to apply.

Its much better to use expanded PVC sheets for your build. PVC Never rots and needs no painting.

Additionally, I found that it is now CHEAPER to just buy an already made enclosure than it is to buy the materials separately and build it yourself. Animal Plastic is good, but the wait time is 8-12 months. @Markw84 makes the best enclosures ever and you can get them reasonably quickly. He builds them with all the electrics already built in, so factor that in your price comparison. You can't do it yourself for as cheap as he sells them.