Salmonella( dont worry its nothing bad just a question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Marty333 said:
Hi I was just wondering if its true that tortoises carry Salmonella? I always wash my hands after I play with Chevy but some times I forget. So do they carry Salmonella?

I have read all reptiles care it,I have a hand santizer at the side of the table which everyone uses if the do anything in the table

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was my understanding that everyone, even you and I, have a bit of salmonella in us. The problem arises when a tortoise or turtle is ill and he sheds the salmonella. That's when you get it on your hands. But I make it a practice to never touch my face. I haven't had the flu or a cold in so many years I can't even remember when the last time was.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
All reptiles and people CAN be carriers of Salmonella---if they have been exposed to it. But unless I am mistaken, a captive hatched tortoise (or turtle) that has never been exposed to it will not be a danger.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
eggs, chicken, money, toilet seats, the list is on and on, good hygiene is the best defense.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Easy Answer 1: No, not all animals automatically carry Salmonella.

Easy Answer 2: Yeah, they really do.

Longer Answer:
Salmonella is actually two species- S. enterica and S. bongori. Then, there are are over 2435 different serotypes of Salmonella (sub- species, and sub-sub species, etc.) Some are incredibly dangerous, some are relatively harmless. 94 serotypes are found in reptiles, 321 in amphibians. Determining the serotype is an important part of figuring out where an infection came from.

Your reptile can test negative for Salmonella in a rather routine test that your vet should be able to do, but to be considered Salmonella-free, it needs to test negative for 5 samples in a row over a month to be considered germ-free.

Most animal infestations come from contact with a contaminated material. Red-ear Sliders used to be harvested from human waste treatment settling ponds- giant lakes of Salmonella, so they almost always had it. Animals that tend to live in their own wastes in captivity tend to catch some form of Salmonella and then pass it in the wastes, and then reinfect themselves over and over.

Now- almost every animal that has been tested after death in an autopsy has shown some Salmonella somewhere in their system, so, yeah, they carry it. HOWEVER, you can carry it and show no signs in the blood, feces, etc., so- if you are not shedding the germs, does it really count?

Bottom line- a little bit of smarts in your hygiene, whether it is your tortoise or raw chicken, is a really good idea, just in case.

Of course, almost all of us here have HAD Salmanellosis- the disease that comes from Salmonella. We probably called it the '24 hour bug' or a 'stomach flu'- it came on rather quickly, caused diarrhea and maybe vomiting, and passed quickly in a day or two in most cases. That is not how a flu or cold works, but perfectly describes a mild case of food-poisoning... such as Salmanellosis.

vyeates409

5 Year Member
I always wash my hands before i touch them and after for that very reason.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins007 said:
Easy Answer 1: No, not all animals automatically carry Salmonella.

Easy Answer 2: Yeah, they really do.

Longer Answer:
Salmonella is actually two species- S. enterica and S. bongori. Then, there are are over 2435 different serotypes of Salmonella (sub- species, and sub-sub species, etc.) Some are incredibly dangerous, some are relatively harmless. 94 serotypes are found in reptiles, 321 in amphibians. Determining the serotype is an important part of figuring out where an infection came from.

Your reptile can test negative for Salmonella in a rather routine test that your vet should be able to do, but to be considered Salmonella-free, it needs to test negative for 5 samples in a row over a month to be considered germ-free.

Most animal infestations come from contact with a contaminated material. Red-ear Sliders used to be harvested from human waste treatment settling ponds- giant lakes of Salmonella, so they almost always had it. Animals that tend to live in their own wastes in captivity tend to catch some form of Salmonella and then pass it in the wastes, and then reinfect themselves over and over.

Now- almost every animal that has been tested after death in an autopsy has shown some Salmonella somewhere in their system, so, yeah, they carry it. HOWEVER, you can carry it and show no signs in the blood, feces, etc., so- if you are not shedding the germs, does it really count?

Bottom line- a little bit of smarts in your hygiene, whether it is your tortoise or raw chicken, is a really good idea, just in case.

Of course, almost all of us here have HAD Salmanellosis- the disease that comes from Salmonella. We probably called it the '24 hour bug' or a 'stomach flu'- it came on rather quickly, caused diarrhea and maybe vomiting, and passed quickly in a day or two in most cases. That is not how a flu or cold works, but perfectly describes a mild case of food-poisoning... such as Salmanellosis.
FEH! I think I got Salmonella just from reading this!

Status
Not open for further replies.