Salmonella? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Let me let you in on a secret; I'm a total "germophobe" when it comes to reptiles and birds, because I'm REALLY afraid of getting salmonella (I've heard that getting it is like torture for a day or two). Now, I know that with birds you can only get it if you EAT them raw, but I'm not taking any risks with my chicken, pepper. Back to the point of the thread... Do tortoises carry a lot of salmonella? I've already posted a thread about this, I know, but I'm still curious (but mostly really afraid). Are there any herpetologists out there who can tell me how to prevent getting it? The odds? Salmonella victims, what's it like? Risks? Maybe if its not as bad as it sounds I won't be as afraid... PLEASE don't exaggerate, it'll make me so scared that I might give up on herpetology in general (reptiles are my passion and I REALLY don't want to give up on my passion from fear). Anyway, back to the point (again)... I really appreciate and trust you guys, so... I guess what I'm trying to say is... Post away!! Long or short, I don't care, all posts are appreciated! :) :tort:

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I don't know much about it but what I will say is this
There are hundreds of tortoise owners on here and you don't often see a thread about people who have got salmonella. I have three and have never caught it and I'm in amongst my torts everyday, and I will admit that I sometimes forget to wash my hands.
I think if you are afraid you just need to be making sure you wash your hands when you are finished handling or spot cleaning, making sure not to put your hands near your mouth in between.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I honestly don't think you have much to worry about. Just wash your hands after holding it if your concerned. I have had water turtles off and on for YRS and never have I gotten it and those are well known carriers. I just simply wash my hands after holding them.....which for a health tort they say you should before and after anyways. I honestly believe your less likely getting anything from a turtle or tortoise then you are getting something from a keyboard or a phone that btw they have proven both are dirtier then toilet seats. Just another way to put things in perspective. ;)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would have been dead a LONG time ago if tortoises carried as much diseases as some people say they do lol. Proper care and proper washing of hands should eliminate all worries. ;)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Anything living carries Salmonella. Humans carry at least 12 different types, if not more. Proper hygiene is all you need to prevent it.

Statistically you WILL catch Salmonella many times in your life, and I would venture to say you probably already have. I've had Salmonella 6 times in my life span, and NONE of it could be traced back to any Reptile...

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you, everyone, for this helpful information! Although I already wash my hands immediately after making contact with ANYTHING that has to so with daisy (food+dish, soaking bowl thing, lights, calcium powder, everything), I really appreciate all your comments and ill appreciate any new ones, too

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't salmonella primarily found in most reptiles poop? I know healthy reptiles can also carry it on their bodies, but from what I've always heard and known its mainly a poop thing? Don't go eating tort turds lol

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh no! You found me out! Lol! Funny story: tou know how dogs like to eat poop? Whenever we took my guinea pig, cuddles, out to walk around, she would poop on the floor or towel or whatever she was on and our dogs, Chewy, Lily, and Tara, would eat it. Gross, I know. But then one day my mom was holding cuddles and she pooped (cuddles, not my mom) and lily ate it and my mom started calling them doggy tic-tacs. okay, it's easier to tell in person and reading it isn't as funny, but I tried my hardest! :) it's the only flavor of tic-tacs that don't make their breath smell minty fresh. Heh-heh. But I promise they don't do that with daisy--I don't want another dog-tortoise don't mix story, so I keep them away from her

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
As has been said, the risk of contracting salmonella from your turtle/tortoise is often overstated. There are many strains of salmonella but only some of them will cause illness. Salmonella is harbored in the gastrointestinal tract of many different species of animals (people included) and so it is spread through fecal matter. Since chelonians are close to the ground they may get salmonella on their body through traces of fecal material they crawl through. Water turtles obviously don't get much separation from their fecal material, so they are higher risk. But good hygiene - keeping reptiles and their supplies away from food preparation areas and washing hands well with soap and water after handling - is enough to significantly reduce the risk to almost nonexistent. Even if you do get salmonella it may or may not make you ill depending on the strain of salmonella and your immune system's health. Immunocompromised or children are at higher risk because they will not be able to fight it off as well as a normal healthy adult. I've been around reptiles my entire life and have never contracting anything from my reptiles.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Ferretinmyshoes said:
As has been said, the risk of contracting salmonella from your turtle/tortoise is often overstated. There are many strains of salmonella but only some of them will cause illness. Salmonella is harbored in the gastrointestinal tract of many different species of animals (people included) and so it is spread through fecal matter. Since chelonians are close to the ground they may get salmonella on their body through traces of fecal material they crawl through. Water turtles obviously don't get much separation from their fecal material, so they are higher risk. But good hygiene - keeping reptiles and their supplies away from food preparation areas and washing hands well with soap and water after handling - is enough to significantly reduce the risk to almost nonexistent. Even if you do get salmonella it may or may not make you ill depending on the strain of salmonella and your immune system's health. Immunocompromised or children are at higher risk because they will not be able to fight it off as well as a normal healthy adult. I've been around reptiles my entire life and have never contracting anything from my reptiles.
YES!!! THANK YOU!! THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!! :) :) :) :) :tort: :tort: thank you all for your replies, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Salmonella is everywhere. I'd bet money we could culture it from the keyboard you are typing on or the phone you talk into. Your immune system protects you from it. I've been handling reptiles since I was a little boy. I've been handling them professionally in some capacity or other since 1986... with my BARE HANDS... {gasp}.

I'm still here. I've still never even seen a single case of salmonellosis from reptiles, much less gotten sick myself. My buddy was a restraunt general manager and he saw a few cases of food bourne salmonellosis, but never from a reptile. It is physically possible, but its VERY unlkiely that you will get sick from handling your tortoise or any other reptile.

But the way, my lovely wife is a microbiologist and she approves this message.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I've been around tortoises my whole life and have never gotten sick from salmonella. It's very uncommon to catch this from tortoises.

As already mentioned, wash your hands after cleaning up after your animals (all animals, not just reptiles) and you'll be fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TortForum mobile app

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you, Tom and mctlong! That makes me feel SO much better!! :) I've actually been handling reptiles since I was about 4 1/2 or 5 and I've NEVER worried about salmonella until a few months ago. I don't know why, but it just started freaking me out and I kept compulsively washing my hands after I even touched anything I touched or held after I held or touched daisy. I couldn't even turn off a light without washing my hands!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Always wash your hands. Don't lick reptile heinies. Don't eat reptile poop. Do these things and the risk of contracting salmonella is slim to none.

I've been dealing with reptiles for over 20 yrs and never had it.

Vickie

5 Year Member
The whole reason for this fear is the media and why they don't allow sales of hatchling turtles saying they carry it. The only reason for that was because mom's and dad's bought them for their kids and some kids thought it was funny to put them in their mouths making them ill.

Jd3

5 Year Member
You are more likely to give yourself pink eye than you are to catch salmonella from anything, let alone your tort.

Germaphobia is just that. A phobia. "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phobia

Knowledge is rarely power. Our awareness to disease and germs has created phobias not really necessary. Regular hand washing prevents the spread of most germs like this. Soap and water and scrubbing.

You'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.