Salmonella Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I just got back from the doctor, and she thinks I have a mild case of salmonella. I'm having painful stomach cramps, a low fever, and I'm just feeling very poorly. I opted to not get the expensive blood and stool tests because i'm really not in that bad of shape, so I can't say for sure that it's salmonella, but the Doctor thought it was. The salmonella might not have even come from one of my two Russian Tortoises, it could be from the chicken I was cooking on Monday, or the raw vegetables i'm constantly cleaning and cooking, or from some sushi, but sometimes I'm guilty of handling the tortoises and forgetting to wash my hands, so here's a reminder to everyone, wash your hands after handling any reptile, every time, even if you are just picking up the water dish to give it a rinse, or brushing some coir off of the feeding area, because I missed three days of school and 1 night of work and I feel like crap.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
That sucks, I hope you feel better soon. One of the perks of working at a hospital is that there's always a bowl of handwipes readily available, so I pocketed a handful tonight, just to be on the safe side.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I hope you feel well soon, I have had salmonella before and it was not a good time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope you feel better soon, but i always stress washing your hands after handling a tortoise or turtle. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
I hope you feel better soon, but i always stress washing your hands after handling a tortoise or turtle. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

:)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I think this is one reminder that most experianced Herp owners can relate to.... been there, Done that!;) Hope your feeling better!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Quick show of hands- if you are over 13, raise your hand...

All of you with your hands up have almost certainly had Salmonellaisis at least once. Most of the time, we pass it off as 'stomach flu' or the '24 hour bug', usually experiencing a day or two of vomiting or nausea and diarrhea.

The MOST COMMON sources are room-temperature meats and eggs (like those deviled eggs you love so much, or chicken salad or chicken on your salad?) but the dang germs can show up almost everywhere.

You already know about the guidelines for cleanliness to avoid it- but almost all of us ignore them at one point or another. Heck, I rarely do any of them and know that my number is going to come up any time now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So madkin you are saying chicken is bad, and should be banned?

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Thanks for the well wishes everybody! I'm feeling a bit better today, I was able to go to work. I've heard it usually lasts 4-7 days, so I should be completely fine by Tuesday at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.