Votes: 1 4.3%
  • more than 6

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
Salmonella isn't very rare or anyhting and I know it. The pet store guy told me that my tort has salmonella. I looked on the internet and it always says to wash your hands. I know have to wash my hands and I do. But my question is, does it affect reptiles? Does it make them sick???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't understand your voting. However, I believe they are carriers more then it making them sick. Unless maybe they eat something that has it. Now, as for it in itself. Yes it is out there. Yes it can make you sick. I personally don't believe it is out there as bad as everyone makes it to be. If it was, I should have never made it to adulthood. As a kid, I was not one to wash my hands much and I caught wild everything. I do have my hands I. Water a lot now, with the animals I have now. I try to remember to wash my hands every time I touch one of them. I am not on it 100% and am still alive. I feel too much sanitizing of ones self, does not give your own body to build up immunities. I know kids that the parents are freaks about being sterilized just about and the kids are always sick. My son is 15 and the worst he has ever had was a cold. Don't let it worry you much. Maybe with the very young or very old or if you have some kind of illness yourself. Otherwise, if you forget, don't let it take over life. My opinion anyway.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Salmonella is a bacteria that is naturally present in the digestive tract of many reptiles. It doesn't affect them at all; they are just a carrier. So in simple terms, the pet store guy is correct. Your tortoise probably does have some Salmonella.

The main thing is hygiene. Wash your hands before and after handling animals, ANY animals. Don't make a practice of licking reptiles' buttholes or eating their feces. Likewise, don't stick your fingers in your mouth, nose, or any other orifice of your body after touching a reptile until you have properly washed your hands. If you stick to these guidelines, there is a good chance you'll never contract Salmonella from a reptile.

People more at risk are children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone else with decreased immune systems.

You can more easily contract Salmonella from birds, infected food, polluted or standing water, raw poultry or sick people, as well as anyone who has been in contact with the others.

Regarding reptiles, the bacteria is predominant in species kept in over-crowded, unhealthy conditions. Baby turtles and green iguanas are common carriers, but again, any reptile can have the bacteria.

This is the main reason that resulted in the "4-inch" law prohibiting the commercial trade of chelonians with a shell length 4 inches or less.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
StudentoftheReptile said:
Salmonella is a bacteria that is naturally present in the digestive tract of many reptiles. It doesn't affect them at all; they are just a carrier. So in simple terms, the pet store guy is correct. Your tortoise probably does have some Salmonella.

The main thing is hygiene. Wash your hands before and after handling animals, ANY animals. Don't make a practice of licking reptiles' buttholes or eating their feces. Likewise, don't stick your fingers in your mouth, nose, or any other orifice of your body after touching a reptile until you have properly washed your hands. If you stick to these guidelines, there is a good chance you'll never contract Salmonella from a reptile.

People more at risk are children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone else with decreased immune systems.

You can more easily contract Salmonella from birds, infected food, polluted or standing water, raw poultry or sick people, as well as anyone who has been in contact with the others.

Regarding reptiles, the bacteria is predominant in species kept in over-crowded, unhealthy conditions. Baby turtles and green iguanas are common carriers, but again, any reptile can have the bacteria.

This is the main reason that resulted in the "4-inch" law prohibiting the commercial trade of chelonians with a shell length 4 inches or less.

LMAO!
Wow! Great advice, and thanks for laying it on the line, Student!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't understand what I'm supposed to vote for...1 to 3 what? Do I think from one to three of my tortoises have salmonella? Do from one to three members in my family think my tortoises have salmonella? Am I being dense?

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
emysemys said:
I don't understand what I'm supposed to vote for...1 to 3 what? Do I think from one to three of my tortoises have salmonella? Do from one to three members in my family think my tortoises have salmonella? Am I being dense?

The poll says how many torts do you have

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh! ***smacks self on forehead with palm of hand*** Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't see it.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Random, but it made me chuckle. So why not!

Well, I believe StudentOfTheReptile pointed out everything I was going to say.

Want me to be honest? I've heard of way more people getting salmonella from chicken or eggs than reptiles.

Is it possible? Sure. But it's just as possible a ton of other ways. Don't fret over it. When I was growing up, I was catching snakes, frogs and toads, salamanders, lizards, turtles..you name it. Jumped in ponds and bogs, kissed the critters I caught sometimes. Never once had a problem!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife has a masters in microbiology. She told me salmonella is everywhere, any normal immune system fights it off, and just wash your hands and don't worry about it.

We do bleach the cutting board after chicken...

What I want to know is: How did the pet store guy diagnose salmonella in your tortoise? I used to be a "pet store guy" and I never had the means to diagnose salmonella, or much of anything else, without the aid of a vet and their equipment. Is your tortoise exhibiting some sort of symptoms, that made him think this?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York

Great information! I spend so much time washing my hands... I am afraid of cross contamination between species; parrots, tortoises, cats, dogs and humans.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Oh! ***smacks self on forehead with palm of hand*** Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't see it.

I think it's because you expect the poll to have something to do with the question of the thread. :D

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Tom said:
My wife has a masters in microbiology. She told me salmonella is everywhere, any normal immune system fights it off, and just wash your hands and don't worry about it.

We do bleach the cutting board after chicken...

What I want to know is: How did the pet store guy diagnose salmonella in your tortoise? I used to be a "pet store guy" and I never had the means to diagnose salmonella, or much of anything else, without the aid of a vet and their equipment. Is your tortoise exhibiting some sort of symptoms, that made him think this?

He could have just been saying in general, that tortoises have it. Which is kind of silly to just say "This is a tortoise. It has salmonella.".

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"The pet store guy told me that my tort has salmonella."

I'm really curious to know how the guy at the pet store knew your tortoise had salmonella by looking at it? There is no way to detect the symptoms purely by sight.

Like Tom said, salmonella can be found everywhere including raw and undercooked meats, eggs, milk, fruit, vegetables, and other food sources as well as unsanitary water and in unclean animal husbandry conditions.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I'll add a bit more..

You're more likely to get salmonella from eating at a fast food restaurant than from a reptile.

Just look at how often Taco Bell has salmonella outbreaks. =\

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I suspect a vulcan mind meld was used to diagnose the tort.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Don't make a practice of licking reptiles' buttholes or eating their feces.

Here I am laying in bed doing my usual complaining I can't sleep yet lurking and reading the forums and THIS gets me mega busted because I tried to hold in my laugh but ending up snorting and almost peeing the bed.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I have to say...

The word butthole is just hilarious.

Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.