Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
LOL...you would think some of this stuff is common sense, liking washing your hands after messing with animals and/or animal things.

Mind you, its not really a knock against anyone here per say, but more to a lot of the folks I have encountered over the years, working at the LPS and beyond. I just talk straight with them. They come to me, asking about and worried about Salmonella and whatnot, and I ask them, "Do you plan on putting turtles in your mouth? Do you plan on picking your nose or licking your fingers after handling your pet lizard? Just wash your hands after playing with your pets and you'll be fine!"

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Pretty much.

There is a reason it's advised to wash your hands after handling any sort of animal.

You know, they also say to wash your hands after handling money, before preparing food, after the bathroom, after cleaning, etc, etc.

To be honest, just wash your hands more often and use hand sanatizer.

I've read, and I'm pretty sure it's true, that the majority of times a person gets sick, it is from putting their fingers in their nose or near/in their mouth.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
I don't think I have ever heard or read of someone getting salmonella from a turtle or any other reptile.

Your more than likely going to get salmonella from a restaurant.

I might be new to this site but I have been handling and raising reptiles for over 20 years.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree that salmonella is everywhere. I too have been keeping reptiles for over 15 years and no one in my home has ever contracted salmonella. Again, it is everywhere. Why reptiles get such a bad rap with it is beyond me. They say not to have reptiles in a home with children, old people, immune suppressed people. Why do they not say to keep eggs and chicken out of the home as well?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am constantly handling tortoise and never have i had a problem, Also i dont know any reptile enthusiast that gotten ill through their reps.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
bikerchicspain said:
I am constantly handling tortoise and never have i had a problem, Also i dont know any reptile enthusiast that gotten ill through their reps.

You're looking lovely on your PRE!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
lisa127 said:
I agree that salmonella is everywhere. I too have been keeping reptiles for over 15 years and no one in my home has ever contracted salmonella. Again, it is everywhere. Why reptiles get such a bad rap with it is beyond me. They say not to have reptiles in a home with children, old people, immune suppressed people. Why do they not say to keep eggs and chicken out of the home as well?

Ya know...that did get me thinking a while back. I have a similar record: been keeping reptiles since 1991 and have never contracted Salmonella.....or have I???

My point is this: most of the symptoms attributed to Salmonella are diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and abdominal cramps. In a reasonably healthy person, those symptoms could easily be blamed on a lot of things. Now I'm one of those folks who hardly ever get sick. I feel that I could reasonably say that I have a pretty solid immune system. Is it possible for someone who is exposed to a certain strain of Salmonella (say, the type that reptiles often carry), and over time, develop a tolerance/immunity, and every so often, experience a "spike" that might be casually dismissed as some disagreeable food I ate or too much caffeine?

I dunno...I'm not a medical expert, nor am I a pathologist that knowledgeable on Salmonella bacteria. I'm was just thinking out loud...is this even a possibility?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
t9dragon said:
I don't think I have ever heard or read of someone getting salmonella from a turtle or any other reptile.

I might be new to this site but I have been handling and raising reptiles for over 20 years.

With all due respect- it may be because you have not been paying attention in the right areas. The CDC has documented several cases of Salmonellosis from reptiles, some cases even hit the national news periodically.

The cases of Salmenellosis from turtles has dropped A LOT since baby sliders, etc. are so much harder to get- but they have not gone away.

As for 'more likely'... well, 68 people were contaminated at a 'Mexican type food' chain in 10 states in the outbreak in January of 2012- the only fast food outbreak noted for the year so far.

168 people were diagnosed with the strains of Salmonella associated with reptiles in 2012 over 28 states. 64% were kids, and all victims had recent contact with small turtles- most of which were in violation of the 4" rule. The year before, 200+ were infected due to African clawed frogs, etc.

You can check it for yourself at http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/outbreaks.html. The list does not include everything- it seems to mostly report multi-state investigations- but it is interesting to read.

Also remember- not all food poisoning is due to Salmonella.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Madkins007 said:
t9dragon said:

With all due respect- it may be because you have not been paying attention in the right areas. The CDC has documented several cases of Salmonellosis from reptiles, some cases even hit the national news periodically.

The cases of Salmenellosis from turtles has dropped A LOT since baby sliders, etc. are so much harder to get- but they have not gone away.

As for 'more likely'... well, 68 people were contaminated at a 'Mexican type food' chain in 10 states in the outbreak in January of 2012- the only fast food outbreak noted for the year so far.

168 people were diagnosed with the strains of Salmonella associated with reptiles in 2012 over 28 states. 64% were kids, and all victims had recent contact with small turtles- most of which were in violation of the 4" rule. The year before, 200+ were infected due to African clawed frogs, etc.

You can check it for yourself at http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/outbreaks.html. The list does not include everything- it seems to mostly report multi-state investigations- but it is interesting to read.

Also remember- not all food poisoning is due to Salmonella.

I think it would be interesting if they expanded on the definition of "small turtle." I'd like to have a list of species to see what is most commonly carrying the salmonella (though the layman in me assumes sliders and painted turtles are among the main culprits).

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm one of those people whose immune system really doesn't function like it should. If there's any kind of digestive or respiratory system affecting bugs floating around then I usually end up catching them. I mean, I'm 18 and have recurring stomach ulcer issues :/ (while that isn't exactly an immune system failure, you get my point lol) I really feel like if I ever caught salmonella then it'd come and go without my ever noticing that I had it lol. Hopefully this wouldn't adversely affect my immune system (if that's even possible >.> it doesn't exactly do it's job to begin with) but I mean I wash my hands regularly and all, so even if I caught it there's nothing that I'd really be willing to do about, my tortoises aren't going anywhere, so I'd probably just suffer through it if I found out that they passed a germ causing salmonella :p

Status
Not open for further replies.