Same sex?

Opm21

is it possible for two females to have sex??? I just saw my two torts having sex. Unless one was being more "dominant" than the other one. A couple of months ago I posted both of them to determine their sex. I was told it looks like I have 2 females. I’m questioning it now. I’m confused lol. The little one didn’t have an erect penis or anything. "He" kept humping the dirt while mounted on top of the female.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Mounting is a dominance display done by both sexes.

This is a sign that one wants the other to leave its territory.

They should be separated before the subordinate one goes into decline or comes off worst in a fight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just like we dogs, tortoises will do this to dominate. It is not necessarily for reproduction.

If they are living as a pair, they shouldn't be. Groups can sometimes work, but pairs do not. And the sexes don't matter.

Another possibility is that one of them is a male. All tortoises look female-ish when they are juveniles. The secondary sexual characteristics don't develop until later on when they are nearing maturity. What age and size are your tortoises?

Opm21

Just like we dogs, tortoises will do this to dominate. It is not necessarily for reproduction.

If they are living as a pair, they shouldn't be. Groups can sometimes work, but pairs do not. And the sexes don't matter.

Another possibility is that one of them is a male. All tortoises look female-ish when they are juveniles. The secondary sexual characteristics don't develop until later on when they are nearing maturity. What age and size are your tortoises?

They are like 6-8 inches or so. Don’t know their age

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They are like 6-8 inches or so. Don’t know their age

Not big enough to sex accurately yet. They all look female to start.

Unless one of them flashes his penis in a hormonal moment, you will have no idea of gender until they’re 14 inches or so.

Last edited:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Unless one of them flashes his penis in a hormonal moment, you will have no idea of gender until they’re 14 inches or so.
We are talking about Hermanns, not Sulcatas, so they are most likely female. ;)