Sand as substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
Ive visited a couple mom and pop pet stores and from one bought my sulcata.
One had them on sheets of news paper covered in rabbit pellets and timothy hay, the other on reptile sand.

I have used both as substrates (i've only had him 3 weeks)

I was wondering if I should get a better substrate, but I don't know what exactly to get.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
You'll find a lot of folks here refrain from using any sand, or use only a very small amount in their substrate mixtures, due to risk of impaction in your torts digestive system.

I have two cherryheads and have been using the "bioactive" mixture from The Tortoise Library:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/substrates.html

I know you don't have redfoots, but I'm sure you could use similar substrate recipes/materials with success. Hopefully some sulcata keepers pipe up soon for you.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You'll probably have to experiment to find one the works for you and that you like. I use a mix of topsoil, coir and mulch.

steven

5 Year Member
thanks, I will probably go and get coir this weekend.
how often should I change out the substrate?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the combo of coir and sand.. play sand, not the reptile sand. I have tried the mulch and over all just find it too harsh for smaller tortoises.

As for the cleaning, if you spot clean it, depending on the size tortoise to size of enclosure, you may go several months without having to totally clean it out.

steven

5 Year Member
i figured play sand wouldn't be as smooth as reptile sand. Don't they round out reptile sand so it doesn't hurt them?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When you mix it into the coir, the roughness of the sand is not noticeable. Actually you really don't even notice it's in there, much like outside when you look at your dirt (unless you have clay or sand dirt :D). You also want that larger size for it to work properly, too fine cause problems.

I believe the sand your using is the one made from calcium, right?

Noodlesmadison

5 Year Member
drgnfly2265 said:
I use cypress mulch ;)

How do you clean this? My girl pees almost every night in her sleep in her wooden habitat, so I've put a peepad down (so the wood doesn't get ruined). Does this mean I should scoop out lot's of the substrate every morning? Isn't this a costly substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.