Saved this guys life

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Aw how adorable!
I keep having to stop traffic on the highway near me because snappers keep trying to cross it. The last one was huuuuge and was NOT happy to see me at all. Took me a bit to figure out how to grab him because every time I tried he spun and snapped at me (ha! Snapped! Snapper! .... I'm a dork....) People were mad because I wouldn't move from standing in the right lane so they had to merge into the left lane. Why would I move? I move, you're just going to plow right over and kill this beauty! But you know if you hit me you gonna have sooooo many issues.
I eventually realized I was wearing a zip up hoodie so I used that to throw over his head and front legs and wrap up tight so I could pick him up without loosing an appendage, haha.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Aw how adorable!
I keep having to stop traffic on the highway near me because snappers keep trying to cross it. The last one was huuuuge and was NOT happy to see me at all. Took me a bit to figure out how to grab him because every time I tried he spun and snapped at me (ha! Snapped! Snapper! .... I'm a dork....) People were mad because I wouldn't move from standing in the right lane so they had to merge into the left lane. Why would I move? I move, you're just going to plow right over and kill this beauty! But you know if you hit me you gonna have sooooo many issues.
I eventually realized I was wearing a zip up hoodie so I used that to throw over his head and front legs and wrap up tight so I could pick him up without loosing an appendage, haha.
Hhahahahahah good job.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Aw how adorable!

How to help a Snapping Turtle Cross the Road

I once tried to chase a big one across the road because i was afraid some jerk might deliberately run over him. Of course, he just whipped around to confront me. That was before i saw this vid.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
How to help a Snapping Turtle Cross the Road

I once tried to chase a big one across the road because i was afraid some jerk might deliberately run over him. Of course, he just whipped around to confront me. That was before i saw this vid.
Definitely helpful, thank you! I can use the car mat one, never thought of that.
Sadly wouldn't have worked in the highway case since it is always super busy (except in the dead of night) and it's a divided highway with a partition in between, so sliding or picking up and walking to the other side of the road was not an option.
After I secured the hoodie over the head and wrapped around that half of his shell, I just picked him up and carefully placed him in my trunk (I have a hatchback Nissan Versa) then took the off ramp, circled around, and got back on going in the opposite direction I initially was, then pulled over in the shoulder on the other side from where I picked him up (relatively close, I'd say less than a quarter mile if not almost exact) and carried him down the hill from the shoulder, then pointed him away from the road, picked up a stick, took three steps back, and used the stick to flick the hoodie from over his head so he could see, then held down a corner of it as he pulled himself out of it and surprisingly quickly waddle/ran/scooted away. There was a very nicely sized river/creek in that direction, so I'm assuming that's where he went.