Help ID a Turtle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawbbeh

5 Year Member
Alright guys and gals...I got a bit of a long shot for you to help me out with. This would be easier if I had pictures but since I don't I will have to do my best to describe this to you...as I have not seen anything resembling this turtle..ever.

Many years ago when I was just a kid growing up in Slidell, Louisiana, I had numerous box turtles that I either bought for likr $5 from the pet store down the street, or found on the roadside.

One day a family friend of ours stopped by our house with a turtle she had seen out in the middle of a busy road (and subsequently stopped traffic) and saved her (she ended up laying eggs and I had hatchlings)

Needless to say, She was unlike any of my other turtles and hopefully someone might be able to match a species to my description

Her shell was all black with a yellowish colored spine. Her underside was a lighter color similar to her spine.

Her shell wasn't flat or highly domed. Pretty average curve.

She was bigger than my other box turtles. Think of your average 3 toed box turtle...and add about 2 inches. She was pretty big compared to my other box turtles. Maybe 7 or 8 inches long.

I *think* I recall her head being lighter colored too.

She is not a terrapin (like a diamond back terrapin) and didn't have webbed feet.

Since she was found on the road in Louisiana...I figure the species to be native to the locale.

I dunno...I probably have you all confused...but for years this has been bugging the crap out of me and I just can't figure it out!

Thanks for any help (or a possible ID!)

Rawbbeh

5 Year Member
I do too...Like I said, this is from about 16-18 years ago...

The closest I can pair it to was a Gulf Coast Box Turtle, as they are slightly larger than other species...and the babies of the Gulf Coast Box Turtle look the closest to the babies I remember her having...

The only thing was that this particular turtle did not really have any designs on her shell...other than the different colored spine...

Pic%209%20-%20Gulf%20Coast%20Box%20Hatchling%20-%20Dawn.jpg

Just going by the size alone...It has to be the Gulf Coast Box Turtle...nothing else even comes close...and of course where it is native to and where it was found... And that the babies look similar to the ones she had...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Look at the for sale area, there's a huge male gulf coast there. Very dark also.

Status
Not open for further replies.