Is this a western box turtle?

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
One of my employees found this on the street near her suburban home in Phoenix AZ. I'm not familiar with box turtles but it seems to me that's what this is. I've only seen photos of the turt she found. In another photo his beak appears to be rather overgrown, making me wonder if this is an escaped pet rather than wild.
None of her neighbors are missing a turtle and she also checked craigslist for lost turtles. I've told her if Sonoran desert turtle it is illegal to remove from wild.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463499660.494411.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Terrapene ornata luteola:
15165380391_596eab65ea_b.jpg

Notice how many lines radiate from the center of a scute.

Terrapene ornata ornata:
upload_2016-5-17_10-46-23.jpeg

See how there are quite a bit fewer radiating lines.

The turtle in your picture is so faded that I can't see the radiating lines, but it could be a desert box turtle (western). But it surely is a very pretty turtle!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
One of my employees found this on the street near her suburban home in Phoenix AZ. I'm not familiar with box turtles but it seems to me that's what this is. I've only seen photos of the turt she found. In another photo his beak appears to be rather overgrown, making me wonder if this is an escaped pet rather than wild.
None of her neighbors are missing a turtle and she also checked craigslist for lost turtles. I've told her if Sonoran desert turtle it is illegal to remove from wild.
View attachment 173827

Looks like a possible hybrid or a 3 toed box turtle. Any plastron shots

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Here are more photos. Thanks. It has 4 toes on hind legs
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463603203.769561.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463603225.536436.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Westerns have a pattern on the plastron. Judging from the size of the turtle compared to that hand, I'm going with gulf coast box turtle