Say hello, Gracie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I recently acquired a tortoise from a college student who got the tortoise from a family that was moving away and could not take it with them. That family told the college student that it was a box turtle, which it definitely is not, so I don't know how well she was cared for, and the college student only had a basic UVA basking light for heat and fed her iceberg lettuce. He had her for about three months so I was concerned that she might be experiencing some vitamin deficiencies due to the diet and lighting. She does have a couple of small chips in her shell that appear to be a few years old, but she seems to be healthy as far as I can tell.

I have consulted with people on a few other forums in the three months that she has been living with me, but only just discovered this site so I thought I'd get some input here as well..

I have her in a 2 foot x 3 foot "box" made from an old bookshelf laying on its back. I intend to build something larger and more permanent in the future but I don't have a place to put it right now. She has a 100 watt ZooMed UVB lamp, a hollow log hide, a water dish she can soak in, and I'm currently using 3-4" of aspen shavings for substrate since it's readily available here, the bookshelf backing won't handle anything like sand or soil, and I have read that it's OK for Greek tortoises. Her diet right now consists primarily of Dole Spring Mix salad (recommended by people on several different sites) with an occasional shredded baby carrot or three, and dandelions whenever I can find them (although it's too hot for them to grow right now). I have offered cuttlebone and Rep-Cal Calcium/Vitamin D powder (both by itself and mixed in her food) but she doesn't seem interested in them at all and won't eat her favorite foods if the calcium powder is sprinkled on them so I hope and assume that she's getting enough calcium from her diet and Vitamin D from her lamp and our walks outside to look for dandelions and other tasty weeds (no herbicides are ever used in the area that I let her walk).

Since the previous owner(s) didn't know anything about her, I don't have any idea how old she is, but she is currently just over 5.5" from front to back, not including head and tail. She just had a little growth spurt with some shedding on her head and neck and thin white growth lines between the scutes, so I hope that's a sign she's healthy and eating properly.

We decided to name the tortoise Gracie, in part because I believe that she's a Greek (possibly Iberian?), and that's the name my girls chose from the choices I gave them. Of course, if I ever get her a male partner, he'll have to be named George. :)

Here are a couple of pictures for "show and tell". Maybe you can help me verify if she is in fact an Iberian Greek or a different variety. Also, I want to make sure she is actually female although I'm fairly confident that she is with the short, wide tail and flat plastron. These pictures were taken while she was in a glass aquarium the day after I got her. She was only in the aquarium for a few days while I made room for the bookshelf she uses now so you don't need to tell me that the aquarium isn't a good home.. ;)

4479063557_c23f1760d0_b_d.jpg

4479063099_760bcef678_b_d.jpg

4479062589_3fee4aa307_b_d.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
She (yes a she :)) looks great and is a Jordanian greek, Testudo graeca ssp, ssp for undescribed subspecies. She'll end up being 6 to 7 inches long.

Danny

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a pretty girl, and her shell is nice and smooth, so at least the former owner(s) did something right!

Congratulations on having Gracie come to live with your family. :D

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Jordanian Greek? Do you have any sources where I can get more information about the variety? I searched online for about an hour and found very little information at all, and the few pictures that I found labeled as Jordanian (probably labeled incorrectly) actually don't look at all like my tortoise so I don't know that I'll trust anything else from those sources. I'd like to know more specifics about it such as the identifying characteristics of the variety, and possibly where to find a male of the same sub-species so Gracie won't be lonely when I finally get the big enclosure set up.

Thanks. :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Pretty face. Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michael:

Welcome to the forum!!

(You're either OLD! or you've been watching old re-runs of Burns and Allen! I'm OLD!!! and I remember the show when it was first run. "Say Goodnight, Gracie!")

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
emysemys said:
Hi Michael:

Welcome to the forum!!

(You're either OLD! or you've been watching old re-runs of Burns and Allen! I'm OLD!!! and I remember the show when it was first run. "Say Goodnight, Gracie!")

I'm glad someone got the reference! The funny thing is that my parents didn't even make the connection when I mentioned it to them. My Mom blamed it on insanity that she inherited as a genetic trait...from me. ;)

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread, but I thought it better to ask another question here since it is related to Gracie...

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, pictures of hatchling/young Jordanian Greeks? I have searched everywhere that I can think of and honestly can't even find any definitive information about the variety itself, even less pictures that can be used for identification. I hope to add to my "herd" eventually when I have room to do so and I plan to attend the local reptile expo in October. I'd like to know what the young ones look like ahead of time so if I find someone selling Greek babies, I'll (hopefully) be able to tell if they are the same variety as Gracie.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Search "Anouk" and any threads that come up that are posted by me will show my female Jordanian Greek. I have had her since she was 6 months old. I purchased her at 3 mos, but shipping weather was not good for a while. She'll be two in September. I have posted lots of pics :)

Here's two from her baby-baby days after I had just gotten her

ANOUKISHOME061.jpg

mycuttlebone.jpg

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thank you for that, Meg! I'll definitely take a look at your baby pictures. :)

Do you mind if I ask where you got your Jordanians?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
From EgyptianDan here on the forums. I have a Jordanian girl from him, and an Antakyan Golden Greek Cross girl as well. My male Jordanian came from a friend who was getting out of tortoises. Most people don't know subspecies at all at shows unless they are the breeder. You can usually tell this by asking. Most people are like errrr its a Greek. Lot of middlemen at shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.