Say Hi, to Norman

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Welcome and congrats. A sulcata is a huge commitment.

Here's the care sheet for them in case you haven't seen it.

Here are some good picture threads showing a healthy 1 and 2 year old:

Ghostorchid

Cincinnati, OH
Welcome and congrats. A sulcata is a huge commitment.

Here's the care sheet for them in case you haven't seen it.

Here are some good picture threads showing a healthy 1 and 2 year old:
Thank you.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome from a fellow sully owner.
Norman is a beauty! Sullies are a big commitment especially in cold weather areas. Make sure you soak Norman everyday in warm water. The depth of the water should be where the carapace (top shell) and plastron ( bottom shell meet. Keep him soaking for 1/2 hr and water stays warm the whole time. A picture of your setup would be great. So we can suggest any changes. The info you get at pet stores is usually all wrong.
A completely enclosed setup is necessary to hold in heat and humidity. If you notice Norman's scutes ( the individual sections of the shell) are starting to get raised individually. That is called pyramiding and extreme pyramiding is not healthy for Norman. His is very minimal but without 80% humidity it can get worse. Goggle tortoise pyramiding and you will see some extreme examples. Since Norman is so small. Getting him in a humid environment you can stop the pyramiding.
Good luck, read the caresheets and ask questions. We are here to help you.
PS. Don't feed Norman fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I’m Victoria, a first time Sulcata parent and just got Norman 6 days ago. Very excited to spend many happy healthy years with him/her.
Hello and welcome.

Start thinking about how you are going to house a tropical giant that needs huge warm walking areas throughout your cold winters. Or start planning your move to a warmer area to the south. As you can see from the threads that Team Zissou linked, your baby will be very large in a short amount of time.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Hello and welcome.

Start thinking about how you are going to house a tropical giant that needs huge warm walking areas throughout your cold winters. Or start planning your move to a warmer area to the south. As you can see from the threads that Team Zissou linked, your baby will be very large in a short amount of time.
The heat lamp I found are restaraunt heat lamps. Sort of pricey but built like tanks and very easy to adjust. Mine will easily heat a 4'×2' wood enclosure with a single 250 watt bulb. Be careful these get very hot. My EBT loves it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The heat lamp I found are restaraunt heat lamps. Sort of pricey but built like tanks and very easy to adjust. Mine will easily heat a 4'×2' wood enclosure with a single 250 watt bulb. Be careful these get very hot. My EBT loves it.
That type of infrared bulb should not be used over turtles or tortoises. The red light messes with their little minds in several ways. They should have white light for day time and darkness at night.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
That type of infrared bulb should not be used over turtles or tortoises. The red light messes with their little minds in several ways. They should have white light for day time and darkness at night.
Yeah she does go crazy with it. I can get a specialty reptile heat light. She loves heat!

I have an LED light for UV and darkness.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
they have specialty reptile basking lights so I will get one and it will fit perfectly in this light.

I will use this light in the mean time.

The light fixture is built like a main battle tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah she does go crazy with it. I can get a specialty reptile heat light. She loves heat!

I have an LED light for UV and darkness.
You don't need a reptile bulb. Just a regular flood bulb from the hardware store for basking. Hang the fixture from over head and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it. I usually start with a 65 watt, but some big open enclosure will need higher wattage bulbs.

The LED is great for more ambient day light.

At night, A CHE controlled by a thermostat is a good way to go if you need more ambient heat.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
You don't need a reptile bulb. Just a regular flood bulb from the hardware store for basking. Hang the fixture from over head and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it. I usually start with a 65 watt, but some big open enclosure will need higher wattage bulbs.

The LED is great for more ambient day light.

At night, A CHE controlled by a thermostat is a good way to go if you need more ambient heat.
This 'lamp food monster' is 250 watts!

It will take much lower wattages though.

The thermostat and LED controls have to wait.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Welcome to the forum from central Florida this is my hermann's his name is Hermie

Attachments

• PXL_20220122_194821897.jpg
    PXL_20220122_194821897.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20211231_170343354.jpg
    PXL_20211231_170343354.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 3

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I'm wary about letting them out of there space. I'm afraid they will try to hide which can be dangerous. But with a big tortoise it might not be a problem

My EBT knows she has to go in her pond. I can't imagine large tortoise poop all over the house.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Victoria!

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
My Eastern Box Turtle isn't near as hard to take care of as a Sulcatta.

They will eat anything! Dead rodents, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, slugs, decaying fruit.

When they get older they become more vegan. Although my EBT does not like greens now.

I was told that the desert Tortoise in the American Southwest can not even be handled by law. The stress kills them.