Saying Hi!

turtlemom68

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gloucester, VA
I am the mother of seven homeschooled children. We live on a 14 acre farm in beautiful coastal VA and have kept many different animals including: goats, horses, cows, all sorts of poultry, dogs, cats, various rodents (ferrets, guinea pigs, etc), lizards, etc, etc, etc. I developed a love for turtles and tortoises when I was a very young girl. I have been raising turtles for years, but the tortoises are fairly new to me. I fell in love with the sulcata species. We recently took in a 3 month old sulcata which we acquired from a soldier who had to give it up due to deployment. He had built a fairly nice tortoise table for it which we are enjoying. Our family is looking forward to watching it grow. We also have a marginated yearling and three approx 8 year old hermann's. I've been reading through the posts on the forum and gathering from everyone's experience and wisdom. ~Wendy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Wendy! *waves* Sounds like a fun and busy place at your home. :D What kind of turtles do you raise?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome to TFO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wendy:

Welcome to the Forum!

turtlemom68

5 Year Member
Gloucester, VA
Thank you, ladies, for the warm welcome! Jacqui, You hit the nail on the head! Our home is filled with joy and peace and a lot of activity. It's a blessing to live here. I have an ornate I just purchased to get out of a bad environment (bad lighting, overgrown beak and nails), and a rehabilitated box turtle (hit by mower, shell won't close completely), and some aquatic turtles. It's just nice to find a place where I am not considered weird for liking turtles/tortoises!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Wendy and welcome to the TFO
My boss thinks I'm out of my mind with
All my turtles and torts but then his boss
Got 2x RT

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to TFO. Where's the pictures :dodgy:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Wendy. This is the place of tortoise and reptile lovers. I have a Reeves semi-aquatic turtle that almost 26 years old. I also have 3, soon 4 sulcatas. The first two I raised from about 1 month old. They are now 2 years old. The third sully was a rescue. She was 3 years old and weighed 4 ounces! She's now 4 years old and weighs almost 6 pounds. The 4th sully will also be a rescue. The member who's giving her to me rescued her from a bad situation too, but needs to find a permanent home for her. I should be getting her in a few days. So, I don't have as many animals as you, but then I don't live on a farm:p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome Wendy. Yes you have found the right place the right place! Give the prior owner of the sulcata a thanks from me, please. And one more thing, We Love To See Pictures! Post some of your critters for us.

turtlemom68

5 Year Member
Gloucester, VA
How does one post pictures? I have a few, but need to take more. It can take me a while to get things online done sometimes...husband and children come first.

turtlemom68

5 Year Member
Gloucester, VA
Cowboy Ken, The soldier with the sulcata was in military housing with many more years of service, so I am not sure how he planned for that to work. He watched this sulcata hatch. He bought it through a breeder in VA Beach.

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
amazing Life Turtlemom68 sounds very busy <3 I hope we can get to know each other better I am new tortoise owner of a Russian named Fred... I only have 2 kids and a few misc pets, and admire that you can find anytime online at all... glad you found this site ... I bet ur kids will enjoy learning from all these smart ppl too...my first interest in turtles was when a few years ago we witnessed a pond turtle laying eggs in our backyard, we have been blessed watching every year since then, even a few new comers and the hatchlings are too cute.. Tortoises have always been adorable to me, and we just love having him in our family

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Wow! Sounds like a nice home. if I had 14 acres I would have a whole bunch of tortoises! Welcome!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
turtlemom68 said:
How does one post pictures? I have a few, but need to take more. It can take me a while to get things online done sometimes...husband and children come first.

How you post them depends on how your wanting to post them. :D For instance I download my camera into my laptop, then move the pictures to my Photobucket account and then into here.