Scale rot?

axmna

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, sharjah
Hi! Could someone tell me how to fix a scale rot ? It would be great if you could provide the links of meds if possible. All of the scales have fallen from the feet of the tortise and its concerning so if someone could help rhat would be great.

Attachments

• 17252864627638545152003068168343.jpg
    17252864627638545152003068168343.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 17252864785963293560707586510351.jpg
    17252864785963293560707586510351.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 17252865096484773511860438324022.jpg
    17252865096484773511860438324022.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Maybe @dd33 or @zovick can help you. Can you share details on how you keep your tortoise? What heating/lighting do you use? What is the humidity?
I dont have lighting as for night but in the morning I let it soak in sunlight as much as i can and I use a heating mat for the tortoise and for the humidity its 45% since I aleady live in a humid country.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Does your tortoise live in an enclosure? Now that your tortoise is still so small, the humidity needs to be 60 to 80%. 45% is enough for adults. Heating mats can be dangerous for baby tortoises since they naturally heat up from the sun. I would suggest you get a incandescent flood heat bulb instead. These will all help the healing process and keep your tortoise healthy.

I will wait for others more experienced than me to comment on the diagnosis and medication!

Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes agree, remove the heat mat. They should only be used for adults and that's with a heat source above it.
80% humidity is needed. Even though you might live in a humid place, that same outside humidity will not be the same in a heated enclosure as can be seen by the pyramiding she has
An incandescent FLOOD bulb is needed for basking under temps that reach 95-100 or they can't digest their food properly. Getting her outside for uvb is good, you don't need uvb inside.
Hatchings up to around 3 years should be housed in a closed chamber with short visits outside. The closed chamber high humidity and correct bulbs grows a smooth tortoise
As for missing scales, possibly the heat of the heat pad.
@Yvonne G

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Does your tortoise live in an enclosure? Now that your tortoise is still so small, the humidity needs to be 60 to 80%. 45% is enough for adults. Heating mats can be dangerous for baby tortoises since they naturally heat up from the sun. I would suggest you get a incandescent flood heat bulb instead. These will all help the healing process and keep your tortoise healthy.

I will wait for others more experienced than me to comment on the diagnosis and medication!
yes it does live in an enclosure but I keep it out most of the time so it can get heat from the sun. The enclosure isnt that big and I have orchid barks as substrate but I have been planning on changing it to coco peat. Ill keep in mind to keep the humidity at 60% to 80%. Thank you!

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Yes agree, remove the heat mat. They should only be used for adults and that's with a heat source above it.
80% humidity is needed. Even though you might live in a humid place, that same outside humidity will not be the same in a heated enclosure as can be seen by the pyramiding she has
An incandescent FLOOD bulb is needed for basking under temps that reach 95-100 or they can't digest their food properly. Getting her outside for uvb is good, you don't need uvb inside.
Hatchings up to around 3 years should be housed in a closed chamber with short visits outside. The closed chamber high humidity and correct bulbs grows a smooth tortoise
As for missing scales, possibly the heat of the heat pad.
@Yvonne G
Are these the incandescent flood heat bulb that you are talking about ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_211732_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_211732_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1

_The_Beast_

Canada
yes it does live in an enclosure but I keep it out most of the time so it can get heat from the sun. The enclosure isnt that big and I have orchid barks as substrate but I have been planning on changing it to coco peat. Ill keep in mind to keep the humidity at 60% to 80%. Thank you!
Question: when you say "soak in sunlight" and "heat from the sun" do you mean they are outside getting direct sunlight (and therefore also UV) or inside in a sunny patch on the floor?

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Question: when you say "soak in sunlight" and "heat from the sun" do you mean they are outside getting direct sunlight (and therefore also UV) or inside in a sunny patch on the floor?
since I live in a building its inside in a sunny patch on the floor but where its kept its really heated

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Babies need housing in a closed chamber with appropriate heating and lighting, I’d only have them outside for a few hours a day whilst they’re so young. And yes they definitely being from 80 humidity, which can only be properly maintained in a closed set up👍

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
since I live in a building its inside in a sunny patch on the floor but where its kept its really heated
Please, keep in mind that UVB (required for healthy bone growth) doesn't pass through the glass. You will need either a UVB lamp or sunbath them at the balcony (only during morning hours when sun is not very hot and under your supervision, you may combine soaking and sunbathing but watch closely to avoid overheating them).

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus