Scales missing from leg?

Foursteels

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I haven't seen RT much this week because he's in his hide when I get home from work, but today I found him out walking in his enclosure and noticed scales missing from one leg. He's outdoors 24/7 with no other inhabitants in his enclosures. He was fine Sunday when I last saw him. Has anyone seen this in their tort? 2015-11-20 16.26.22.jpg 2015-11-20 16.32.26.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Could it be damage from trying to escape?
Is there blood? Does it smell? Is it sensitive?

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
No blood and it doesn't smell and there is no broken skin or anything. Just looks like smooth skin with no scales.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Might he be digging against something hard like concrete or a rock? When they park headfirst at night, they will often dig at whatever they've butted up against. What is your tortoise butted up against at night?

Might rodents be a possibility? Is he closed off at night in a secure box, or is he out in the open?

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I have plastic buckets that I've made caves out of. They have 3-4 inches of topsoil in them and he goes in and kind of buries himself toward the back. Sometimes you can hear him scratching against the plastic with his claws. I don't believe a rodent could get into the enclosure as it's 18" high and has a screen top.