Scams

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Say you do get your real low cost albabra deal, life time cost for care will make the difference between free and $2500 negligible. Basically if you can't afford the tortoise you can't afford the post purchase care.

I couldn't agree more! PROPER care of my little Russian tort is significant (to give GOOD food, PROPER lighting, experienced and competent Vet care...if not a large enclosure and all the substrate it takes to fill it). I can't imagine feeding costs alone!!! (I hear they have massive appetites!)

Please please please make sure you have AMPLE resources to provide for any animal before you buy at any price.

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Everything thing about this comment is dead on.

If you can't afford $2000+ for a tortoise, how are you going to feed and house it? What are you going to do when it gets sick?

One of my least favorite sentences ever is "Oh my (name any pet) is sick, but I can't afford to take him to a vet."

Maybe I'm coming across here poorly, and if so then I apologize.
I really don't want to drive you away from the forum, but this is too huge of an issue to not point out to you.

Plus is anybody honestly selling their aldabra on Craigslist?

YES YES YES! I don't think you're coming off badly at all. The fact is, it is a decision you can't take lightly--even for a "low cost" version! I'll admit when I adopted my Russian tort, Morla, last September, I did not expect what was a "free" adoption would become what is now upwards of $1000 for the Vet bills she's accrued in the short 4 months I've had her. She's been worth every penny and I am BLESSED that I can finagle it!

When you take on an animal, taking care of their health is an obligation, not choice. You have to be ready for the time and money, and unfortunately, ownership is too easily made on a whim--with the poor animals at the mercy of the short-sightedness of those who promised to care for them. "I can't afford to take him to a vet" and "There isn't a Vet in my area" are NOT good excuses. If you can't provide this care, you shouldn't have the animal.

Is there a limit? Of course there is! (I'm not likely going to buy Morla a kidney anytime soon....) But with torts especially, they are so long-lived, if you can save their lives, you can't even use the excuse, "Well, she's already 10 years old..." She still has like 70-90 more years to go!!!

NOTE: another phrase that makes me so sad: "My tort is …bleeding out his eyeballs, hasn't eaten in 3 years, and his skin has peeled off... Should I take him to the Vet?" Okay, an exaggeration, but by God, yes!!! I am sometimes taken aback by the conditions these poor creatures are in and people are just now considering medical care.

Last edited: