Scared Russian

Kaycee

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I've had my tortoise for about 8 or 9 months and she's still scared of me, she'll only hand feed in her enclosure and she'll run away from me and poop when i let her free roam, is there a way i can bond with her so she's less scared?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's just what they do. What do you want it too do? Most or a lot of torts just want to be left too roam and won't really come to their owners. Some do some don't. Handle more and she might come around more to what you want. Just don't expect a dog or cat reaction.

Kaycee

Washington
I never expected a dog or cat reaction so don't assume so, all i want is for her to be less scared of me, how do i handle her more?

daniellenc

Maryland
You can pet her shell and head. Rub her neck stuff like that. Some just don’t like to be handled it’s normal. You shouldn’t be letting her roam free though they can get into stuff, get loose, and it can be deadly. Roaming outdoors in a pen is great though!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Always approach her from the front. Don't sneak up on her. Get down on her level so you aren't towering over her. Hold out food and then gently rub her head and neck. I try to get my tortoise to associate the head rubs with food so he will see them as something to be enjoyed. He comes towards me whenever he sees me, but he is 19 years old. When he was younger, he wasn't as brave.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I never expected a dog or cat reaction so don't assume so, all i want is for her to be less scared of me, how do i handle her more?

My Russian was the same way. Takes a lot of time but she’ll come around. When I first got her she never took food by hand and never wanted to be touched, she would pull into her shell. It’s true, bribery goes a long way. Took a long time but she now takes
food and enjoys an occasional rub on the shell, still not a fan of being held. Remember, it’s all done on her time and you have the next 50+ years to gain her trust! (It won’t take that long).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've had my tortoise for about 8 or 9 months and she's still scared of me, she'll only hand feed in her enclosure and she'll run away from me and poop when i let her free roam, is there a way i can bond with her so she's less scared?

You know, every living creature has its own make up...some are easily bribed and others just don't buy it....try to not take is personal and continue to do what you do...eventually the tort will "like" it or the tort will "tolerate" it.... :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What do you mean by free roaming? If you are putting her out in your house or a free spot of your yard she’s going to be very nervous because she’s outside of her habitat.

Mine has never tolerating much scratching, although she’ll let me do it whenever she’s peeling skin. But she isn’t afraid of me and will sometimes clamber up on a leg if I’m out of the yard. She’s not afraid of anyone. Nor seemingly anything, although she’s yet to see a dog.