Scraping her mouth.

yillt

Hello.
My little boy went outside every day for the past 2 weeks. Whenever I've seen him he's been trying to eat the concrete patio. He scrapes his mouth along it too. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399656486.662443.jpg This is him about to do it. ABOVE
Is this ok or should I do something about it?
. Also I am going to get him a nice new indoor cage. He is an almost 3 year old marginated and he is normally lively but occasionally drowsy. What side cage do you recccomnd and do any of you have second hand ones? If not do you know a place I can get them. Also, I live in the UK, London.
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises are smart enough to realize they need to 'file' down their overgrown beak and will scrape on rocks, etc. to accomplish this.

yillt

Thankyou. Do you have a clue where I can get a good sized cheap cage?

M

Maggie Cummings

You don't want to put him in a cage. At the least use an old dresser drawer, staple a shower curtain liner in it and set it up with lights, hide, water dish plants substrate etc...
at the best build a tort table out of plywood...

yillt

When Is said cage I did mean tortoise table. Sorry for the mistake.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Beautiful tort! I think the scraping is natural. Mine does it sometimes to file his "beak" down. By all means, let him do it. It's much easier then you or the vet having to do it.