Sulcata Mouth Problem

SaltFlyTyer

Location (City and/or State)
Fort lauderdale florida
We have had this little
Fella for about 2 months now. He has been living indoors in a enclosure with a reptile light, place to hide opposite the light, water bowl, and is lined with reptile wood I believe coconut.

We have noticed he cannot close his mouth properly almost like the inside is swollen. We soak him regularly and take him outside where he loves to walk around and is very active. Lately his activity in the cage has slowed down and he doesn’t appear to be eating I assume from the mouth issue. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.90DC089E-787E-4DDC-9D22-13214B299527.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a side pic of his mouth. Almost looks like his beak is too long, but he is kinda young to have that problem. @Yvonne G might be able too help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did his mouth always look like that or just recently? Is the white calcium powder or dry?

SaltFlyTyer

Fort lauderdale florida
I think the white areas on his nose are from the lighting. In person it’s not like that for some reason. I think the phone light does it.

Here is 2 photos. Hope this helps.

Excuse the gloves. I try to keep him and myself as clean as possible.

Attachments

• C7B39D5D-B9C7-4718-B315-F01DD850C91F.jpeg
    C7B39D5D-B9C7-4718-B315-F01DD850C91F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • C6BD4FC2-EEB0-46C3-81A1-2A42ED7E8B45.jpeg
    C6BD4FC2-EEB0-46C3-81A1-2A42ED7E8B45.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

SaltFlyTyer

Fort lauderdale florida
And this problem was recent. Like within a week. This photo is him September 1.

My wife and son are responsible for him and they didn’t notice until recently.

Attachments

• FDE6D434-D246-4118-9A8F-4227E2A65ACD.jpeg
    FDE6D434-D246-4118-9A8F-4227E2A65ACD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Something for sure isn't right. I just can't tell what. For now to help him I would chop his food up small and put it in a pile and keep piling it up as he flattens it. This might help with his eating. You may need to take him to a vet to have it looked at closer. See what Yvonne has to say. I did send her an alert in my other post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the bottom beak broke off clear up to the quick and the top beak needs to be trimmed on the sides.

You'll need to cut up his food into tiny pieces until it grows back.

SaltFlyTyer

Fort lauderdale florida
It looks like the bottom beak broke off clear up to the quick and the top beak needs to be trimmed on the sides.

You'll need to cut up his food into tiny pieces until it grows back.
Thank you for the information guys. Do you recommend adding something to his water during his soak times?

I wish I knew the cause of the issue. How could he break that area of his mouth?

Thanks again. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no way to know for sure, but maybe he was dropped and he landed on his nose. Who knows.?????

I occasionally add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water.

Make sure he's getting enough calcium and UVB

SaltFlyTyer

Fort lauderdale florida
Pretty sure he wasn’t dropped, but like you said you never know. Maybe he was chewing on something inside of his cage?

Either way I gotta get him fixed up. I will do the things recommended above ASAP. Do you recommend a vet visit now, or wait and see?

Also he doesn’t appear to be eating well because of this. Is it recommended to try and feed him with a syringe or something to get some nourishment in him?

Thank you again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pretty sure he wasn’t dropped, but like you said you never know. Maybe he was chewing on something inside of his cage?

Either way I gotta get him fixed up. I will do the things recommended above ASAP. Do you recommend a vet visit now, or wait and see?

Also he doesn’t appear to be eating well because of this. Is it recommended to try and feed him with a syringe or something to get some nourishment in him?

Thank you again.
You'll need to cut the food up into tiny pieces so he doesn't have to bite it. The can then 'tongue' the food into the mouth.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is it me, or does the face area of this little guy seem to be growing a ton of “scales” or something extrs all over?

There just seems to be a whole lot of flaky extra facial scaling going on...

Upper beak definitely looks to be over grown, not sure whats going on with the lower jaw.

2D0E150E-9920-44FD-A58A-1518DB06235B.jpeg