Seams Depressed

PenguinFan

We got our Russian tortoise Spike 2 days ago and he just digs a hole in the corner and stays there. I take him out every so often and put him on the carpet to have some freedom and he just sits there. Is he just still afraid of his new surrounding or did I get a boring tortuous? I'm open to any suggestions to make this little guy feel at home. Thanks

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
He is still scared. He will come out when he gets use to his new teritory. And I would strongly rec not taking him out and placing him on the floor....this will make him more scared. Right now to him you are a big scary monster who might eat him. Give him some time and he will begin to look at you like you are the food god and he will come out more.
If you have a glass enclosure you should tape some paper on the outside so he can't see out. This will help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto what lismar79 said. Also, how big is his enclosure? Although russians are small, they need a very large space. In the wild they will roam miles. Also, for an adult, the humidity should be around 30% basking spot of 95+ and a cool side of around 70-75 even a little lower is fine.

PenguinFan

The enclosure is 36×18×18 50 gallon. . Humidity around 40-45 and temp is 86/70.. I will tape paper up. . And stop taking him out like you two recommend.

PenguinFan

The pet store wanted me to buy a 20 gallon but I went with the biggest they had. . I'm going to bulls another larger habitate in the basement in the near future and one in the back yard in the spring.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Calm, quiet and plenty of places to hide in and under...silk plant canopies are a wonderful thing to spread around the enclosure....he can move about by hiding from spot to spot....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The enclosure is 36×18×18 50 gallon. . Humidity around 40-45 and temp is 86/70.. I will tape paper up. . And stop taking him out like you two recommend.

Do you also provide a basking/hot spot in addition to the temps you mention here? I would offer a basking/hot spot of 110-115 so that the tort can bask and get their internal temps up high enough to aid in digestion ...the ability to bask is essential...lack of the ability to regulate the body internal temp up to correct spot will also affect their desire to eat...

milkandsam

5 Year Member
It took my Greek tortoise about 6 months for me to start seeing personality (about 2 months before he wasn't afraid of me aka "boring") give him time and double and triple check your temps and diet! :)