Second turtle this week...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
... I need some serious help! Hi my name is Stephen and I am a turtle/tortoise adict, lol! I couldn't help myself with this little guy. He was on craigslist for $45 and came with a 29 gallon tank.
00p0p_46AU4ouTxIU_600x450.jpg
01717_g67zzRGmcI4_600x450.jpg
He will not be going back into the tank. he will be released into the garden next month with the growing bale we have in there now. I love his colors although I am not thrilled with the orange paint. the guy I got him from found him completly painted so I'm guessing he was a release or an escape. Either way, he will get cleaned up and turned over into paradise!

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
His poor shell! Be sure to clean the paint off!!

It's okay, I adopted 3 new sulcatas last night..

Indiana
Yay, new torts! He looks gorgeous...except for the painted shell :D

And I understand the sentiment...I really want to adopt more as well!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That is the result of the previous owner slowly cleaning him over the last year. He told me the poor guy was completly covered. He managed to clean between the scutes but it was slow going because there is nothing you can use to get the paint off. I will slowly work on flecking it off with a knife and look into an organic solvent.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh wow, his head color!!!

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Saleama said:
That is the result of the previous owner slowly cleaning him over the last year. He told me the poor guy was completly covered. He managed to clean between the scutes but it was slow going because there is nothing you can use to get the paint off. I will slowly work on flecking it off with a knife and look into an organic solvent.

Wow!! Poor guy! Good for you!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
Oh wow, his head color!!!

I know, right! And it is even brighter in person! His legs are brightest yellow up to that flameing orange head. The last three toed I rescued had a purple head and white spots so this one is the polar oposite. Too bad they are both males. I do know there will be some spectacular babies coming in the next few seasons!

The post was put up on the 30th and the guy told me I was the first to answer. I can't believe this guy made it a week!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's handsome! I have a juvenile that was painted purple as a baby. He still has about 3 or 4 small spots of paint on him. If you find a way to get it off please share!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
He's handsome! I have a juvenile that was painted purple as a baby. He still has about 3 or 4 small spots of paint on him. If you find a way to get it off please share!

I will!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
awesome. I'm glad youre an addict that way I'm not alone! lol congrts

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
diamondbp said:

Me too! We really need to get an exchange program going for our babies! I have five beautiful little three toed/three toed ornate mixed including one with a zipper spine. His right side is a bit lower than his left. looks really neat. I also need to find some adult Gulf Coast and adult Easterns. I have only one adult GC and no Easterns. My other 4 GC's are small, about 3 - 4 inches and a decade from being breeders. They are all also tan phase and I want some black phase. I can keep dreaming, lol.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I saw this guy on cl. Almost bought him but decided I shouldn't adopt in the middle of the winter because I don't have a cage available. glad that you got him!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Saleama said:
diamondbp said:

Me too! We really need to get an exchange program going for our babies! I have five beautiful little three toed/three toed ornate mixed including one with a zipper spine. His right side is a bit lower than his left. looks really neat. I also need to find some adult Gulf Coast and adult Easterns. I have only one adult GC and no Easterns. My other 4 GC's are small, about 3 - 4 inches and a decade from being breeders. They are all also tan phase and I want some black phase. I can keep dreaming, lol.

I love the black gulf coasts from Florida! I've always preferred them over the tan phase. I love gulfies!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
Saleama said:
diamondbp said:

I love the black gulf coasts from Florida! I've always preferred them over the tan phase. I love gulfies!

I have never seen one in person, only pictures. there is a member on this forum who gives them away every year after she has met her expenses but she does not ship and I am a LONG way from California. I really would love to have a few black phase and eastern adults. My dream turtles really.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I had a black gulfie many years ago. He was absolutely huge. He was old, worn smooth and completely black. His name was Clyde.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I must admit I ALMOST like the Florida phase as much as the Louisiana tan phase. I almost dislike saying tan phase because the variety of coloration down here in Louisiana is incredible. It ranges from totally black to SUPERblonde with a huge amount of variety in the patterns, colors, head colors, etc. much more than I've seen in the Florida phase gulf coast. But I so love them both. Mine will be emerging in a few weeks. Prepared to be bombarded with Louisiana gulf coast pictures! ;)