Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I found a great place for organic seeds from an AZ breeder I met at the TTPG conference this year. I've ordered two different types of endive seed packets and several pounds of three different pasture mixes. I let y'all know how well it all grows. I'm not very skilled with this "crop" growing stuff, but I'm giving it a shot. Here's the website: http://www.groworganic.com

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for that site, there prices are very good..

I will be ordering some and hope to get some good results..

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Yes thank you for the site I've been looking for some more organic options for Levi, I think I'm going to plant a little less than half of his new enclosure. I'm also kind of one of those crazy seed saver people, there are as many pictures on my iPad of freshly sprouted exotic seeds that I'm proud of as of the rest of my animals :shy:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I believe it was Kristina that posted a link to this site awhile back, A good site full of information and good prices,even has videos in their newsletter emails showing how to do things.good luck, Planter Tom

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks, Tom. I have a seed source, but not for organic. I'll be ordering in the new year. Let us know how your seeds sprout.

I've only been gardening for the past couple of years, but I've found the less fuss, the better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh sorry to Kristina then. I must have missed that one.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I've been talking to lots of people to try to figure out how to get it right the first time. My first attempt went okay, but the seeds had been sitting too long and only a few types sprouted.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I just have smallish beds for my greens and veggies (4x8) which were all set up via the "no-till" method. Otherwise, I just use a rake to scrape up the ground in enclosures and sprinkle in the seed. I also have a clover shaker and I just shake the seed on top of the ground before a rain. I know you're working on a much larger scale, so I'm interested in seeing how that works out. Haphazard methods have worked out fine for me so far. :p Remember, I'm in the lazy school of husbandry.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, I have been buying mixes from them for years ;) They have great prices, the shipping is great and so far I have had great success as far as the seeds being viable. My favorites are the PVFS Dryland Wildlife Food & Cover Mix, PVFS Forage Blend Dryland Pasture Mix, PVFS Grass Valley Range Mix and PVFS Herbal Pasture Mix.

I also want to point out that I loved these mixes for my horses, goats, and chickens as well ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ShadowRancher said:
Which blends are you trying out? I'm loving the prices

I got the Alkali Pasture mix, the General Pasture mix and the Horse pasture mix.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lulu said:
I just have smallish beds for my greens and veggies (4x8) which were all set up via the "no-till" method. Otherwise, I just use a rake to scrape up the ground in enclosures and sprinkle in the seed. I also have a clover shaker and I just shake the seed on top of the ground before a rain. I know you're working on a much larger scale, so I'm interested in seeing how that works out. Haphazard methods have worked out fine for me so far. :p Remember, I'm in the lazy school of husbandry.

I share your "lazy" techniques. :) That's why I try to grow stuff in my baby sunning pens. Then I just pop the babies out in their pens and I don't have to feed them that day. I've got 6 4x8' covered pens too. I intend to plant some of each in those too and see if they do much better than the seeds that are left out in the open with no cover. Also my 4x8s are made of blocks and it holds all the water in better than open ground. :D The learning never stops...

Status
Not open for further replies.