Seeds are planted!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I'm so excited!! I went to the store and got myself a starter tray and some organic starter soil....Then I got 5 packs of seeds...Hollycock, Nastrium, pansy, petunia and Collards. They are all now planted and ready to start doing their seed thing!! I also purchased from tortoisesupply.com some testudo seed mix I put some organic starter soil in the bottom of a 10 gal reptile tank (the one sold to me for Eloise by petsmart) and laid the testudo seed in there!! Water, time, sun and Please GROW!!! I can not wait to start feeding her food I grew just for her!!! The flowers will be for her summer enclosure but I hope I can keep the testudo going all year for indoors and I will plant some in her outdoor kiddie pool enclosure too!!

These are all okay plants right?? I got them from the edible plants list, but if anyone thinks any are not good please let me know!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's awesome! Good for you.

I don't know about hollyhock or petunia, but if you found them on an edible list, they are probably fine.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! Excellent variety of plants! Woo hoo! Happy tortoise!

I bought a 1 pound can of white clover at Home Depot today for 6.98, Stover's brand, just so you know if you want to grow that also. It was in the grass seed section next to the dichondra seeds.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I just got done planting a bunch of stuff too! I planted Arizona Tortoise Compound's weed mix and flower mix. Can't wait to start feeding my babies some homegrown goodness! :D However, I could not find any edible flowers at my local Walmart! :( I will have to try Home Depot next. I love the idea of using an old 10 gallon tank (since I have one sitting in a corner in my shed that was also sold to me by uninformed Petco employees.) I will try to plant my grass in it! Thanks for the idea :p

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I bought a 1 pound can of white clover at Home Depot today for 6.98, Stover's brand, just so you know if you want to grow that also. It was in the grass seed section next to the dichondra seeds.

Thanks!! I bet she'd like some clover!! :)

Tom said:

I don't know about hollyhock or petunia, but if you found them on an edible list, they are probably fine.

Well the edible plant list says hollychock...I tried to google images and google corrected my spelling to hollyhock soooo I figured it was a misprint on the list side and I will double check petunia.

I used this list. http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

SmileyKylie623 said:
I just got done planting a bunch of stuff too! I planted Arizona Tortoise Compound's weed mix and flower mix. Can't wait to start feeding my babies some homegrown goodness! :D However, I could not find any edible flowers at my local Walmart! :( I will have to try Home Depot next. I love the idea of using an old 10 gallon tank (since I have one sitting in a corner in my shed that was also sold to me by uninformed Petco employees.) I will try to plant my grass in it! Thanks for the idea :p

Glad I could help!! and use that darn tank!!

FYI I taped a piece of plastic I cut from the zip up bag that a set of new sheets came in to the screen of the tank to hold in moisture for the seeds to germinate and I am planning on taking it off once my seeds start sprouting.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Eloise said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

Tom said:

Well the edible plant list says hollychock...I tried to google images and google corrected my spelling to hollyhock soooo I figured it was a misprint on the list side and I will double check petunia.

SmileyKylie623 said:

FYI I taped a piece of plastic I cut from the zip up bag that a set of new sheets came in to the screen of the tank to hold in moisture for the seeds to germinate and I am planning on taking it off once my seeds start sprouting.

Genius!! :cool: That will be my project for this weekend!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
SmileyKylie623 said:
Eloise said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

Tom said:

SmileyKylie623 said:

Genius!! :cool: That will be my project for this weekend!

I didn't find seeds at walmart either:( I found mine at lowes. I did get the seed tray and soil at walmart though:) Is the tortoise compound mix okay for RTs?

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Andy (the owner of ATC) told me it was. This is what the website says is in the mix
"1 oz. package includes Primrose, Stinging Nettle, Rose Mallow, Millk Thistle, Red Russian Kale, Alfalfa, Purple Coneflower and a touch of Red & White Clover." I believe that all of those are fine for RTs. He claims that all of their mixes are safe for tortoises. I also got the flower mix which has Hollyhock, Purple Coneflower, Primrose and Marigold seeds. They are small packages though and the shipping was a lot even though I live within 30 miles of ATC (which I did order some bigger heavier stuff with it too so that was probably why). I trust the people at ATC and I love to support small businesses thats why I decided to give them a try instead of something that seems a bit bigger like Carolina Pet Supply. :)

I might try this next: http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590

R114

5 Year Member
SmileyKylie623 said:
Andy (the owner of ATC) told me it was. This is what the website says is in the mix
"1 oz. package includes Primrose, Stinging Nettle, Rose Mallow, Millk Thistle, Red Russian Kale, Alfalfa, Purple Coneflower and a touch of Red & White Clover." I believe that all of those are fine for RTs. He claims that all of their mixes are safe for tortoises. I also got the flower mix which has Hollyhock, Purple Coneflower, Primrose and Marigold seeds. They are small packages though and the shipping was a lot even though I live within 30 miles of ATC (which I did order some bigger heavier stuff with it too so that was probably why). I trust the people at ATC and I love to support small businesses thats why I decided to give them a try instead of something that seems a bit bigger like Carolina Pet Supply. :)

I might try this next: http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590

The one from carolina pet supply has a ton of grass in it which torts won't touch for the most part.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Just a reminder when buying plants, flowers which most companies do not think you are buying for your tortoise to eat, like the petunias or violas or geraniums, they may have been recently chemically fertilized to make them pretty and blooming at the store. You really want to wait to use until some of that leaches out, like at least a couple of months, to be sure. From seed, of course your good. But caution, caution with possible chemicals of any kind being used. Could hurt your tortoise so best be careful.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Just a reminder when buying plants, flowers which most companies do not think you are buying for your tortoise to eat, like the petunias or violas or geraniums, they may have been recently chemically fertilized to make them pretty and blooming at the store. You really want to wait to use until some of that leaches out, like at least a couple of months, to be sure. From seed, of course your good. But caution, caution with possible chemicals of any kind being used. Could hurt your tortoise so best be careful.

I am starting all my plants for Eloise from seed...I'm a stickler for using the advice I find here and seeds were one I kepp reading over and over so seeds it is :)

SmileyKylie623 said:

I'll have to check ATC out later...I was looking at their torts last night...but I didn't make it over to their other supplies. I liked tortoise supply.com my only complaint is they have such a limited selection. I do want to get a couple of the books they sell but I have to wait on that because I can't justify $30 for a book right now when I know Eloise needs things to make her outdoor enclosure safe....but I will be checking out ATC more today.

R114 said:
SmileyKylie623 said:

The one from carolina pet supply has a ton of grass in it which torts won't touch for the most part.

I'm glad you said somthing I almost bought that one and decided I liked the description on tortoise supply better....but if funds are limited the Carolina pet supply option is cheaper...but you do get what you pay for I suppose.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Two days ONLY and I'm already seeing little sprouts in the testudo seed mix!!! so awesome!! This stuff is already exceeding expectations...anyone else have any experience with the tortoisesupply.com Testudo seed mix?? how'd it grow for you?? this stuff looks like little beans sprouts after 2 days!!! I bet another two days and it will begin it's journey to looking like little plants!! so awesome did I mention I am super excited right now??? AWESOME!!!

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Hokie is loving his home grown testudo stuff, I also plant up baby red lettuce and dandelions in his table, once he's had the leaves from them I put them back in the propegator and let them grow again, 6 little trays on the windowsill and he's got a permenant supply!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I've got some little sprouts growing too! I'm so excited that I am actually growing something for once! I usually don't have much of a green thumb but hey! It's working out so far!

dandj425

5 Year Member
Eloise said:
Two days ONLY and I'm already seeing little sprouts in the testudo seed mix!!! so awesome!! This stuff is already exceeding expectations...anyone else have any experience with the tortoisesupply.com Testudo seed mix?? how'd it grow for you?? this stuff looks like little beans sprouts after 2 days!!! I bet another two days and it will begin it's journey to looking like little plants!! so awesome did I mention I am super excited right now??? AWESOME!!!

How are you growing them, indoors? certain lighting? In a greenhouse setup? I want to start this as well but our weather is not allowing for spring yet. How can I grow this inside? Advice very welcomed!

Eloise said:

I want to start but how are you getting yours to grow, what lighting and if it is outside are you using some type of greenhouse to protect against cold right now? Our weather is cold, 40s so want to start up indoors but what lights can I use to simulate the sun? Advice welcomed!
And for a leopard, Carolina supply with lots of grass seems good right?

Eloise said:

I want to start but how are you getting yours to grow, what lighting and if it is outside are you using some type of greenhouse to protect against cold right now? Our weather is cold, 40s so want to start up indoors but what lights can I use to simulate the sun? Advice welcomed!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
R114 said:

Says the person who clearly does not have a sulcata... :p

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
dandj425 said:
Eloise said:

How are you growing them, indoors? certain lighting? In a greenhouse setup? I want to start this as well but our weather is not allowing for spring yet. How can I grow this inside? Advice very welcomed!

Eloise said:

Eloise said:

At first from seed the most important thing is warmth and moisture...after they sprout well then you want sunlight. I have mine sitting on my kitchent table infront of the sliding glass door and I have it growing in a 10 gal fish tank....I covered the screen with plastic to keep moisture in a two days later they were already sprouting....today they are starting to turn green!! still sprouts but green sprouts!! :)

Tom said:
R114 said:

Says the person who clearly does not have a sulcata... :p

I don't have a Sulcata so it was great info for me...I need RT food...maybe one day when I'm a more accomplished tort owner with a backyard big enough to hold a sulcata then I will need more grasses too!!

morloch

5 Year Member
Well this thread really got me motivated!! I went out today to three different nurseries and spend approximately $50 on seeds and dirt!! I'm so excited to watch them sprout!! I also bought a butterfly garden mix! I found a golden marigold seed native to Africa!!

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
planted all my seeds 2 weeks ago when it was sunny,now its snowing so will probably have to plant more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.