Set up finished!

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hey everyone,

Hope you’re all well :)
I’ve finally set up our Hermanns enclosure! Let me know what you all think and if there’s any adjustments I need to make. Our little guy or gal will be arriving on Sunday.
Thanks in advance,
Natalie x

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpeg
    IMG_5297.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5291.jpeg
    IMG_5291.jpeg
  • IMG_5283.jpeg
    IMG_5283.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5277.jpeg
    IMG_5277.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey everyone,

Hope you’re all well :)
I’ve finally set up our Hermanns enclosure! Let me know what you all think and if there’s any adjustments I need to make. Our little guy or gal will be arriving on Sunday.
Thanks in advance,
Natalie x
Hello!
It looks lovely!!!

Just a few minor adjustments:
1. UVB lamp and basking lamp "work together" so it's better to place them over the same area. UVB lamp can be installed in parallel to the short wall, just in case.
2. Ambient LED should be closer to the middle (and maybe a bit higher) - to make the whole enclosure brighter.
3. Plant pots can be moved a bit off the walls (so he can hide behind them too). If you can cover hides entrances with plant leaves - this will be even better (he will feel safer).
4. I do not see humidity/temperature meters, but you will need a couple of simple digital ones.

Natalie44

Essex
Hello!
It looks lovely!!!

1. UVB lamp and basking lamp "work together" so it's better to place them over the same area. UVB lamp can be installed in parallel to the short wall, just in case.
2. Ambient LED should be closer to the middle (and maybe a bit higher) - to make the whole enclosure brighter.
3. Plant pots can be moved a bit off the walls (so he can hide behind them too). If you can cover hides entrances with plant leaves - this will be even better (he will feel safer).
4. I do not see humidity/temperature meters, but you will need a couple of simple digital ones.
Thank you for your input :) I’ll make a few adjustments! Can I use fake plant leaves to cover the hide? I have 2 humidity/temperature digital thermometers. One at the warm end and one at the cool end

Natalie44

Essex
Hello!
It looks lovely!!!

How’s the placement of the uvb light now? I’ve put it as close to the basking light as I can

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sometimes tortoise will eat fake plants.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for your input :) I’ll make a few adjustments! Can I use fake plant leaves to cover the hide? I have 2 humidity/temperature digital thermometers. One at the warm end and one at the cool end
I'm not a big fan of plastic plants - never know if your tortoise will want to take a bite. A pot with carex or spider plant (one of the two in the enclosure) moved closer to the entrance will work

Natalie44

Essex

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh I get what you’re saying now. I thought the uvb light always had to be in the middle so it covers the whole enclosure
No, it should be just over the basking zone. A simple illustration of this idea is here: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/light-shade-method/

Installation of UVB tubes over the whole enclosure length, I think, was from the times when lamps were weak. Or maybe for some other reptile species.

Natalie44

Essex