Setting up enclosure

wvgirl

Location (City and/or State)
west virginia
This is the start of the enclosure for my very first Hermann tortoise. I do have cypress mulch its just not in the picture. My question is the top would this work for covering half? Just want to make sure everything is perfect before he/she arrives.

1486845324195.jpg

Souptugo

5 Year Member
It looks like a good start but you don't want to use the ramp dish as a water source. Tortoises sometimes will try to climb from the side and flip into it. You want a shallow saucer sunken into the substrate so your tortoise and dip his head down and drink. If you had another tub, I would try to connect the two to get a larger enclosure once your little guy gets bigger. What is the type of bulb/wattage etc.. you are using for heat and UV?

I see you have grassland pellets there on top. Do you plan on feeding it just that? I would combine greens like belgian endives/dandelions to the grassland for feeding.

At first, you want good heat for your tortoise and in order to monitor that, the analog therm. you have won't be accurate. You need one of these. It's the best thing you can buy for not very much.

https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Infr...29&sr=8-13&keywords=digital+meat+thermometers

Adding a couple plants for hiding spots will help acclimate your new guy as well. He will be scared at first and will burrow lots. It's normal.

Keep us updated! Looking forward to seeing your little guy/gal.

James

wvgirl

Location (City and/or State)
west virginia
It looks like a good start but you don't want to use the ramp dish as a water source. Tortoises sometimes will try to climb from the side and flip into it. You want a shallow saucer sunken into the substrate so your tortoise and dip his head down and drink. If you had another tub, I would try to connect the two to get a larger enclosure once your little guy gets bigger. What is the type of bulb/wattage etc.. you are using for heat and UV?

I see you have grassland pellets there on top. Do you plan on feeding it just that? I would combine greens like belgian endives/dandelions to the grassland for feeding.

At first, you want good heat for your tortoise and in order to monitor that, the analog therm. you have won't be accurate. You need one of these. It's the best thing you can buy for not very much.

https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Infr...29&sr=8-13&keywords=digital+meat+thermometers

Adding a couple plants for hiding spots will help acclimate your new guy as well. He will be scared at first and will burrow lots. It's normal.

Keep us updated! Looking forward to seeing your little guy/gal.

James
Thank you so much I will change the water dish and the thermometer and get more plants. No I will be feeding mostly greens. That will be a back up. How can I connect another tub? I am hoping to have a tortoise table built.