Setting up for a Russian Tortoise - Constructive comments welcome

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom @wellington

What is the average temperature of a Russian tortoise shell outside of the basking area. Sandra's is 84 degrees.

Just checking if my overall temps are okay. The range is 75 to 80 degrees plus or minus over the entire enclosure with 95 to 100 degrees in basking area.
That's all good

David Steere

Rhode Island
@Tom @wellington

Sorry for being a pain!

The reason I ask is since I had Sandy each morning Sandy would be out from digging in for the night at 7am. For the last couple of days I had to find Sandy who was still buried and perform the daily soak from 7am to 7:30am. Trying to keep a schedule. Was the weekend so I slept in and check on Sandy at 8am and Sandy was still buried.

Sandy is above ground for the rest of the day. Roams around the entire enclosure, eats, but stays in a particular spots for hours. Just sits there. Just sits there but is alert. When I open the plastic she turns and looks. Hopefully it is not with annoyance.

I still can not help placing Sandy by her food bowl. Mostly so I can spend some time watching Sandy up close and petting her head. Do they like their head petted or does that stress out a tortoise. Sandy extends head was out sometimes.

I guess my question is should I not dig Sandy out and wait for Sandy to surface or is it okay to dig Sandy out. Is this causing stress for Sandy? Overall is this normal for a tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, dig her out if that makes you more comfortable about her well being
Each tortoise is different when it comes to stress. I don't believe, like many do, that they are under stress when handled, petted, etc, unless there are signs. Signs like pulling in and hissing. To me an extended neck when petted is not stress. If she doesn't seem to care you are digging her up, then dig her up. Even one hiss, but then popping her head and legs out, to me isn't stress.
All my tortoises either come walking to me and/or like being petted. I have always handled mine a lot and touched legs, head, etc, so if they ever needed medical care, they would be used to being handled and touched.

_The_Beast_

Canada
I dig mine out on the regular as my little hatchling will try to stay in bed until 9am some days and I need bath time complete before I go to work lol.