Sexing 4 Year Old Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayan11

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

My tortoise Bean just started "flashing" during bathtime. Can anyone confirm that this is what I think it is....?

Thanks!

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 179

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It looks like a penis to me :p How big is Bean?

Danny

wayan11

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Danny,

Bean is just slightly over 5 inches long. I've always assumed Bean was a she because of the flat plastron so, needless to say, I was completely shocked to see a penis the other day. It didn't fit the descriptions I've read of tortoise penises being trumpet-shaped. Can you shed any light on this?

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
After seeing this post I pulled out my two leopard torts. My baby Dozer is way too small to tell (2 inches) but my Chompy hit the 4 1/2 inch mark a couple weeks ago. Well, Chompy was "pottying" and out his...thingie...came. I was shocked! I guess they're never too small as long as they show you themselves ;) Then I looked closer, and you can see his plastron beginning to concave. I hope he stops growing so fast though. He's only 2 yrs old.

IloveTwinkle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Durham, North East, England
Hello I am Emily Joan, and I have a 5 year old Leopard Tortoise and she is called Twinkle. And that thing with your Tortoise, thankfully that has never happened to mine

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's small and pointed like that to help with intromission. After it's inserted it swells and gets the mushroom shape, which helps the male become locked in. :D

Danny

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
wayan11 said:
Hello,

My tortoise Bean just started "flashing" during bathtime. Can anyone confirm that this is what I think it is....?

Thanks!
hi could you post a picture of the plastron showing the shape of the anal scutes please.
terry

wayan11

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Terry,

Here are two pics of Bean's underside.

ILoveTwinkle,

No need to feel sorry for me or my tortoise - I love him unconditionally, male or female!

Attachments

• IMG_1176 smaller.jpg
    IMG_1176 smaller.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1171 smaller.jpg
    IMG_1171 smaller.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 127

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
His anal scutes will change as he gets bigger, it's the length of his tail (past his carapace scutes) and especially the penis that convince me it's a boy. Unless she/he's a very very special tortoise...like a hermaphrodite tortoise. I really don't think that's even possible...

Sara

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
wayan11 said:
Hi Terry,

Here are two pics of Bean's underside.

ILoveTwinkle,

No need to feel sorry for me or my tortoise - I love him unconditionally, male or female!
hi thank you so much for the pictures of the anal scutes they certainly give me the impression they are growing in like on most females yet the tail appears similar to a juvenile males ,of course the penis is a big clue and just goes to show how difficult it can be to sex them when they are still small.

Status
Not open for further replies.