Sexing/growth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Okay, my turn: is my "little man" a male or female? I know he's still little and it's difficult to give more than a guess, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Second question: I know he has some pyramiding. I've had him for just over two months, and he's been living outside with soaks and a good varied diet in his time with me. My question is, by these crappy pictures, can you tell if his new growth has evened out? I definitely don't want to perpetuate is bad growth. Thanks guys :)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"She" looks to be about 3 or 4 years old. Do you have any idea how old she is? The growth looks fine. The pyramiding from being kept too dry happens during the first year, and is normally not associated with steppe tortoises. With steppe tortoises an uneven-looking carapace sometimes happens because of too much food and being kept in the house with no real sunshine.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
"She." That's going to take some getting used to, haha. And I'm not quite sure. I've had her for two months, and the lady I bought her from didn't give me a whole lot of information on him. she claimed she was a year old I believe, but I'm not sure how she determined that.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I agree with Yvonne, right now, that tail looks very female.

How big is she? Mine had a tiny tail too. When "she" was almost exactly 5" long her tail grew and it became clear that "she" was actually a "he".

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I'd say "she" is about four inches long, maybe. I'm really bad at estimating these things and I still haven't officially measured her :p

Status
Not open for further replies.