Sexing juvie sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
At what age can one sex a sulcata? I don't really care in the long run, but was just curious about little Kobe. I noticed the tail is pretty small, so I was thinking female, but I dunno. I get measurements and weights tonight as well as some pics.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Post Pictures ad we Can Try To Guess The Sex!
You really Cant Get A Clear Answer Unless There Older more Mature around 6-8 Years Old.
dmarcus Wasn't Able To sex His Sulcata Till It was 19 inches.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Theres Members That Will Try To Guess It, But Like I Said Its Not 100 percent Accurate!

You can post pics and the experts will try to guess, it won't hurt :)

Are you familiar on how to take the pics of the tail, and bottom shell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A good, clear plastron shot that shows the tail area, including the scutes on either side of the tail. We "guess" the sex by looking at the direction the anal scutes point, and at the seam between the anal/femoral scutes.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Here are a few shots I snapped last night. Had to eliminate the ones that were out of focus. Hope this is enough.

He/she weighs 558 grams, BTW.

One thing I thought was odd was how close the end of his plastron was growing to meet the last scute of his carapace. I don't know that much about sulcatas to know if this is normal or not, but it seemed a pretty tight gap for a species without a hinge (unlike a box turtle). It actually seemed to increase the accumulation of poo. I'd really like to hear some thoughts on this. Just concerned...:(

Attachments

• Kobeplastron1.jpg
    Kobeplastron1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Kobebutt2.jpg
    Kobebutt2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Kobebutt1.jpg
    Kobebutt1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 106

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm no expert on young Sulcatas, but this one is showing signs of being a male. When those bottom scutes and rear scute finish growing to proper shape, it doen't look like there will be much room for egg elimination, if its male however, there will be plenty of room and will be a constant "Poop Grabber"...and as an adult, male, Sulcata owner, I can tell you 1st hand that this area will almost always be full or contain some poop!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is my opinion, based on the shape of the seam between the anal and femoral scutes, that this tortoise looks to be female.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Zamric said:
I'm no expert on young Sulcatas, but this one is showing signs of being a male. When those bottom scutes and rear scute finish growing to proper shape, it doen't look like there will be much room for egg elimination, if its male however, there will be plenty of room and will be a constant "Poop Grabber"...and as an adult, male, Sulcata owner, I can tell you 1st hand that this area will almost always be full or contain some poop!

But would you say the growth he has now is normal-looking? I was actually surprised how slightly pliable that one rear scute on the carapace is.

I have to say it was a little bit of a pain trying to get a toothbrush up in there to get him looking clean for the picture. Maybe when he's larger, it'll be easier. As you can see, I couldn't really get everything as clean as I wanted to.

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Anyone want to take a guess on daisy being Heman or Shera !!! I hope it's a Shera,

Attachments

• image-1431060085.png
    image-1431060085.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2945593949.png
    image-2945593949.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-669413371.png
    image-669413371.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.