sexing my sulcata's

Status
Not open for further replies.

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can all you nice knowledgable folks help me to sex my Sulcata's
I'am not sure what I have , and it would help to just know what you have . And no I am not a breeder thanks guy....

Attachments

• DSC00598.JPG
    DSC00598.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00599.JPG
    DSC00599.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00604.JPG
    DSC00604.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 131

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Glendab63, If I recall correctly two of your Sullys are 3 years old. How big are they?

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Glendab63, If I recall correctly two of your Sullys are 3 years old. How big are they?

you are right the 2 larger ones are both 3 year old the largest one is strigth line 13.5" ,middle size one is 12",and the little one is 10" thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

glendab63 said:
Crazy1 said:

you are right the 2 larger ones are both 3 year old the largest one is strigth line 13.5" ,middle size one is 12",and the little one is 10" thanks

Hi, I'm sticking my neck out, but I have to say that *generally* speaking those Sulcata are too small/young to sex.
I have a 3 yr old who is 13 inches and 12 pounds. He started to flash me last summer, so he was 2.5 yrs when he started to flash and proved he was a man! But I also have Bob who is 65 pounds and 14 years old. He didn't show me his manhood until he was 12 years old. Every tortoise is different but I'd say yours are too young to sex just yet. Were they that pyramided when you got them? They look like they were raised indoors.

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
glendab63 said:
Crazy1 said:

Hi, I'm sticking my neck out, but I have to say that *generally* speaking those Sulcata are too small/young to sex.
I have a 3 yr old who is 13 inches and 12 pounds. He started to flash me last summer, so he was 2.5 yrs when he started to flash and proved he was a man! But I also have Bob who is 65 pounds and 14 years old. He didn't show me his manhood until he was 12 years old. Every tortoise is different but I'd say yours are too young to sex just yet. Were they that pyramided when you got them? They look like they were raised indoors.

the 2 younger one /smaller ones they we're both rescue and the littlest one with the worst pyramiding is just such a little lover and when I seen it my heart just went right out to it,but yes they we're that why and I'm hoping they can out grow most of it thanks

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Are you going to be able to keep them outside to get natural sun and have lots of grazing? They are big enough to be out now as long as your enclosure is safe.
If you need to know what sex they are, a reptile vet can probably probe them. Sometimes you can't keep 2 males together.
good luck
Patsy

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Are you going to be able to keep them outside to get natural sun and have lots of grazing? They are big enough to be out now as long as your enclosure is safe.
If you need to know what sex they are, a reptile vet can probably probe them. Sometimes you can't keep 2 males together.
good luck
Patsy

I don't really need to know the sex of them I will not breed them I was just curious how well they're name fit them and yes they are outside all day ,everyday sence I got them the big one is the only one I have done the biggest part of raising she was about 5 1/2" when I got her ,but I can gladly say that sence the 2 outher 's have came here they both have put on weight
the small one went from 4.5 lbs to 7 lbs,and the middle one went from 7.5 to 11 lbs and both have put on almost an inch in lenght and it's only been a couple months.but they graze all day and I still feed them also look at the new pic, do they look happy thanks

Attachments

• DSC00574.JPG
    DSC00574.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 25

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They are still too young to sex. But the world chelonian trust has a great section on Sexing your tortoise. Especially if you dont plan on breeding them you need to know so you dont accidently end up with eggs or hatchlings.
heres the site. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sexingsulcata.htm

if you cant figure it out take them to the vet. They look like males, but i cant be sure pyramiding can cause issues when sexing visually by the plastern and the anal scutes.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.