Shade Plants for Enclosure?

Bass.Isles

I'm so excited that I'm finally getting to start constructing Isla's 14ft x 6ft yard enclosure tomorrow! I'll definitely design a bigger space when she's a bit older, but for now - with her only being 5 1/2 inches long - I think it will suffice. I'd like some advice on shade plants. Not huge trees or anything, but plants/bushes that a tortoise her size can comfortably take cover under to get out of the Florida sun. Of course they need to be safe for her to ingest, just incase she decides to try munching on them. I already have deep shelter (like a hidey house) planned out, just need shade plant suggestions. Thanks y'all!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
At that small, you might lose her! Grape vines would make great cover.

Bass.Isles

At that small, you might lose her! Grape vines would make great cover.

Hahaha! Yeah, she's always been in a 7ft x 3ft semi closed chamber on my back porch, so i'm almost doubling the size! She just seems to be getting restless in her current enclosure lately. I give her yard time outside 4-5 days a week for at least 5 hours a day. But she spends a lot of her time walking the borders of her run and trying to break out (she can't) because she can see through the slats. It drives her crazy lol. I figure it's just time. I thought about grape vines for decoration, but i'm looking for something more substantial for her to take cover under. My moms friends owns an organic plant nursery and can get me pretty much anything, already grown and ready to transplant.

Bass.Isles

Hahaha! Yeah, she's always been in a 7ft x 3ft semi closed chamber on my back porch, so i'm almost doubling the size! She just seems to be getting restless in her current enclosure lately. I give her yard time outside 4-5 days a week for at least 5 hours a day. But she spends a lot of her time walking the borders of her yard run and trying to break out (she can't) because she can see through the slats. It drives her crazy lol. I figure it's just time. I thought about grape vines for decoration, but i'm looking for something more substantial for her to take cover under (the Florida sun is so very harsh lol). My moms friend owns an organic plant nursery and can get me pretty much anything, already grown and ready to transplant.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Oh heck, I had a brain fart when I read your question. Hosta plants do well in shade. But if you're looking for plants to provide shade, there are a lot of different safe plants out there. Check out the species specific section for your tortoise and safe plants should be listed. You can also check out the tortoise table website. Herb plants work really well the tortoises don't tend to eat them but they are safe if they do.