She didn't like mazuri?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I tried the "tortoise meatball" recipe with my russian tortoise, only with mazuri and a grown seed mix. She picked out the bits of green she could then left the mazuri. Don't most tortoises get "addicted" to it after trying it? Do I go about it the same way I would as any other food?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Interesting... My Star's love Mazuri! I only give it as a treat and they go crazy for it. I soak it in warm water for a bit and they run to it like candy! You can try soaking and crumbling up over their greens and see what happens.

~C

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
CLMoss said:
Interesting... My Star's love Mazuri! I only give it as a treat and they go crazy for it. I soak it in warm water for a bit and they run to it like candy! You can try soaking and crumbling up over their greens and see what happens.

~C

Okay, I soaked it before, maybe she just didn't like the actual "mix." I'll try mixing small amounts in her food.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I had my 2 bigger kiddos go nuts for it, but Shelly took some work to get to like Mazuri. I just keep mixing it in her food and she eventually started eating it. Now, there are days where Shelly will not touch her greens without Mazuri being nearby [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My torts didn't take to it like crazy either. Took a while to get my leopard to eat it. Now he likes it, but doesn't go nuts for it. My Russian, well, I'm still trying with him too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just like with anything, some think it's candy, some think it's the worst stuff and will never get within five feet of it and then there are all the stages in between. Just keep trying it, in time she may or may not start liking it.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I have tried Mazuri with my 3 russians, only one seems to really like it. The other 2 are not interested at all, when I try to sneak it in they ignore the food.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
None of mine will eat it. I even tried to dust their grass and greens with it and they just looked at me as if to say, "When is the real food getting here?" I think I might try to get them to eat it "meatball" style. I never thought of that.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I have an update, she now eats mazuri all by itself. One day I decided to try the pellets soaked by themselves, and she went to town on it. She now eats mazuri regularly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While it's convenient for a tortoise to eat Mazuri, hay, etc., it's not mandatory. It's nice for the keeper to have something to fall back on when greens and fresh foods aren't available, but if your tortoise doesn't like it, oh well. He can live just fine without it. Some of my tortoises eat Mazuri, but most don't.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Yvonne G said:
While it's convenient for a tortoise to eat Mazuri, hay, etc., it's not mandatory. It's nice for the keeper to have something to fall back on when greens and fresh foods aren't available, but if your tortoise doesn't like it, oh well. He can live just fine without it. Some of my tortoises eat Mazuri, but most don't.

Yeah, I only feed four or five pellets once or twice a week. In addition to store greens, cactus and stuff.