She.( mabey) is maturing?

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey y’all! Happy Monday, do I know I know I’ve been here many times about this one particular tortie but she/ now mabey he is maturing, what do y’all think…

Attachments

• C16D772C-4270-441B-B927-0B466EA0A9E4.jpeg
    C16D772C-4270-441B-B927-0B466EA0A9E4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 6038B8C0-5012-46E6-B439-6B27C7D7A1F1.jpeg
    6038B8C0-5012-46E6-B439-6B27C7D7A1F1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Also showing singns of being a little feisty,
? like charging me when her food gets to her door.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Also
I asked Petco
What they thought and they said female, but the had to google it lol ? so
I don’t trust them as much as I
Trust y’all ?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
She was just soo In between for me, I’m so confused! She looks like her scutes are beginning to spread and her tail may be getting longer?

zovick

10 Year Member!
She was just soo In between for me, I’m so confused! She looks like her scutes are beginning to spread and her tail may be getting longer?
What kind of tortoise is that and do you know how old it is?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also
I asked Petco
What they thought and they said female, but the had to google it lol ? so
I don’t trust them as much as I
Trust y’all ?
Usually it's like comparing a Phillips screwdriver driver (female) to a straight screwdriver.(male). But probably also the age might change that so if it's too young that may change later. I also think girl but...? we'll see ?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Here’s another pic from today!

Attachments

• BC7269D4-7DCD-4934-B117-0C88D63A59A4.jpeg
    BC7269D4-7DCD-4934-B117-0C88D63A59A4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick what do you think?
If I had to guess right now, I would say it looks male. The tail looks a bit larger than what I would expect on a female and the anal scutes are not at as an acute an angle as I would expect to see in a female.

That being said, though, it is early in the game to make such guesses. It is also easier to make such judgments when there is a group of tortoises to view rather than just a single animal. In other words, if you can compare 5 or 6 animals it is easier to see which is/are tending more toward a given sex.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
If I had to guess right now, I would say it looks male. The tail looks a bit larger than what I would expect on a female and the anal scutes are not at as an acute an angle as I would expect to see in a female.

That being said, though, it is early in the game to make such guesses. It is also easier to make such judgments when there is a group of tortoises to view rather than just a single animal. In other words, if you can compare 5 or 6 animals it is easier to see which is/are tending more toward a given sex.
Perfect! Thank you! I will keep yall
Updated on this thread! ?

Grace-Sophia

Texas

Also @zovick when do
You think I’ll be able to tell 100%?
she/he will be 4 in December

zovick

10 Year Member!
Also @zovick when do
You think I’ll be able to tell 100%?
she/he will be 4 in December
I am not sure how long your tortoise is, but I think that E. hermann's need to be around 6-8" in length before you can sex them visually. If you keep soaking it in lukewarm water daily, it may extrude its penis bfore reaching that size if it is a male, but there is no guarantee of that.

Why are you so intent on learning the sex right now? Do you plan to get another one and hope to breed them? Or do you already have another one of a known sex and are hoping this one will be either different or the same as that one?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I am not sure how long your tortoise is, but I think that E. hermann's need to be around 6-8" in length before you can sex them visually. If you keep soaking it in lukewarm water daily, it may extrude its penis bfore reaching that size if it is a male, but there is no guarantee of that.

Why are you so intent on learning the sex right now? Do you plan to get another one and hope to breed them? Or do you already have another one of a known sex and are hoping this one will be either different or the same as that one?
Thank you!
And lol… I don’t really know… I like to
Be on top of things I guess and know everything there is to know ? ITS LIKE A MYSTERY I NEED TO SOLVE ?