Shelbys Home

ShelbyTort

Hi all, just wanted to show you all little Shelby's table, i build it myself and am quite proud :p
Shelby is about 2 and a half years old now, hes a Hermann Tortoise :)
Hes extremely active, always running around, clambering over things, trying to climb things and is always happy to eat out of your hands!
So after having the 'standard' tortoise table for a while i decided to build him something with a little more room to explore and enjoy himself...
Here's what i came up with...
GOPR0107_zps937db606.jpg

It has 2 levels, he sleeps under the top level, this is packed out with some nice bedding for him and provides the perfect nighttime temperature!
GOPR0108_zps6ee95360.jpg

He loves climbing up and down his ramp and exploring upstairs! I made sure to put some small wooden grips all the way up the ramp so he doesn't slip (and they work very well!!)
GOPR0110_zpsb8c2a385.jpg

He has a little stick arch next to his basking spot, he loves climbing over it, and laying half under it when hes basking.
GOPR0113_zpscaf32d94.jpg

Obviously he has a food bowl and water bowl, shaded by his ramp.
GOPR0114_zps34754964.jpg

I had to experiment with different power bulbs to get the basking temperature right, but after some trial and error i found the perfect equipment :)
Hes very happy in here and even more active than ever! I'm always having new ideas for the table so im sure I'll add something new soon :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks really nice. You did a great job. A couple things you should change though. The substrate, no pellets, they are not good for torts and the wood chips, I would change out for dirt, coconut coir or cypress mulch, much better for them. Also, the coil bulbs you have are known too cause eye problems, I would get rid of that too. The log hide, keep and eye out that he doesn't climb it and flip.
Also, Hello and Welcome:)

ShelbyTort

wellington said:
Looks really nice. You did a great job. A couple things you should change though. The substrate, no pellets, they are not good for torts and the wood chips, I would change out for dirt, coconut coir or cypress mulch, much better for them. Also, the coil bulbs you have are known too cause eye problems, I would get rid of that too. The log hide, keep and eye out that he doesn't climb it and flip.
Also, Hello and Welcome:)
Thanks for the advice, im suprised to hear a lot of that. Everything i use is the same stuff i was suplied with from the tortoise shop we got his original table from! What kind of bulb would you suggest i use? I didnt realize there was different kinds to be honest, I've only seen ones like the ones i have in the shops. I'll get it all changed out ASAP!