Shell abrasions

Tori Sparrow

Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
So I've just adopted a RT. Apart from him being a him he came with no history.

As best I can tell he is a mature male, but really gender is not so much a point of interest as much as his flaking skin & an odd patch on the front bottom center of his shell.
Thoughts on appropriate care?

Please see picture

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would scrub that spot with Betadine and a toothbrush one time, then clean it daily with chlorhexidine. It's hard to tell from a picture if something is new or old and healed.

Tori Sparrow

Central Florida
@ Yvonne G
Thank you! Now where do I find those?

As for old or new, I don't know, I would think older. It kids looks like dry wood that has been hit with something and splintered... If I had to guess I'd say it looks older but unhealed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the pharmacy.

betadine:
220.jpg

and chlorhexidine:
CVS86470.jpg

Tori Sparrow

Central Florida
@Yvonne G after following your instructions on Thursday, yesterday I noticed 2 more similar spots. The outer shell splintered off to reveal what I now (after much research) assume to be Shell Rot. These spots appear to be older than the 3 days I've had him. Since I put him in an enclosure my blind Redfoot was enjoying (she needed a bigger space and so she got one) without problem, I am thinking that his new enclosure should be good.

I am concerned because from what I've read shell rot is associated with wet areas and Matfey (my Russian), appears to be dried out. His skin is papery and pealing in places. Yet the spots wreak of decay.

Is there anything else I should be doing for him?