Shell and Color question

Status
Not open for further replies.

griefold

5 Year Member
I am aware that I did not get my sully off to the best start since it took me too long to get a completely closed container for Alex. My humidity is not 80-98% at all times in his enclosure. My question is there is a small ridge on his first two center scutes and is that normal as well as his color being very dark. His head is very brown and his scutes as well. Is that something to be concerned about or just normal color variation for a Sulcata. All of the pics I am seeing shows bright yellow sullys well into their third or fourth year. I take Alex outside for at least 20-30 minutes daily. He comes to work with me at school (I am a teacher) and the students take great care of him with his daily sunning at our recesses. I am with the students to watch them and since I work a long distance from my home this is the only time during the day that I can get him out. Any advice/ warnings about his shell would help. Diet is varied and heavy on fresh grass as I can get him to eat, mostly fresh greens for now.

Will post some pics in a few hours when I get the chance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The color usually gets lighter when they are housed outside or are able to live outside during the day. Some could just be different color variations too. But usually sun expose seems to lighten them.

griefold

5 Year Member
Here are some pics of Alex. As I said before any suggestions would help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379888553934.jpg
    1379888553934.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1379888575984.jpg
    1379888575984.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 1379888590525.jpg
    1379888590525.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 86

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks good. If you have him set up with the right humidity now, he should grow to be smooth. The ridges, I have seen on many. Nothing to worry about. I don't know why some have them and some don't.

ashleym

5 Year Member
What substrate are you using? I use Eco Earth and when I first got mine he was VERY clean and bright. That wasn't even a month ago and already (even after bathing on a daily basis) he has a darker head than he used to. Not much darker, but I assume the substrate must just have a slight staining effect and perhaps they were kept in a less soily type environment before.

And I THINK those ridges are his spine.

griefold

5 Year Member
ashleym said:
What substrate are you using? I use Eco Earth and when I first got mine he was VERY clean and bright. That wasn't even a month ago and already (even after bathing on a daily basis) he has a darker head than he used to. Not much darker, but I assume the substrate must just have a slight staining effect and perhaps they were kept in a less soily type environment before.

And I THINK those ridges are his spine.

Coco Coir (Eco-Earth) substrate that I keep moist to keep up the humidity. He does not burrow too much in it at this time since I have a half log hide that stays more humid than the rest of his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks pretty normal. I think the head color is staining from the substrate and the ridge is normal. He looks fine and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

griefold

5 Year Member
Thank you, been worried since the not so great start with the enclosure and the staining. If it is from the substrate that is fine. Thought it was too much sun or something, the kids thought it was a sunburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.