Shell Color Question

TortsUpForHarambe

Hi guys,

I have been reading here for a while as we were looking to adopt a Sulcata. Well, as it happens, yesterday a friend of my wife's called her and said they had a hatchling that showed up on their doorstep, we live in Arizona and I think her neighbors are breeders, that she couldn't keep His shell is more of a tan color than the pictures I have seen in the past. He is happy, active and eating so from the outside, it doesn't seem like he is in bad shape. Just more curious about his shell color.

Picture attached for reference. Thanks in advance for all your help!

tortishell.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The person that has neighbors that breeds them should be asking the neighbors if they had any babies recently and if they look like me this one. If so, the baby should be returned to its rightful owner.
That said, I have never seen one like that.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think it needs washed, looks dusty to me. Give it a soak and softly wash the shell. It definitely has a light color but I would like to see how it looks cleaned up.

TortsUpForHarambe

Thanks for your respons guys! In response to Wellington, neighbors don't breed, they do have 2 sulcata's but are not actually breeders so my mistake for the misinformation. Wife's friend had the tortoise about a month, also has a tortoise in her Backyard. Gave him a good scrubbing, still has the tan coloration. His eyes are dark, not red. With that said, she had him living completely wrong. Sandy base, no light, no water, etc. we are pretty lucky he is in this good of shape.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Do you have more pictures of them. Some closer up and maybe even a couple while they are wet and being soaked?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my...aren't you the lucky one! It's a very unusual color for a baby sulcata. It might be like leigti said, an ivory sulcata.

ivory_and_regular.JPG

Be sure to soak him in warm water daily - he looks very dry.