Shell concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Hi,
I am a little concerned about my sulcata's shell.
He has had some visible lines that at first I thought were cracks. I wasn't sure how he would have gotten them; but then they started to fill in. I now think that they are growth lines.

My main concern is that last night when I was putting him to bed I noticed a small line (approx 1" long) that was almost "flaking" or splintering. It is white in color, dry not soft, liquidy or ***** and his shell is still very hard. I am not sure how to explain it properly. Last night I was stressing about it and searched for hours on TFO about "flaking, peeling, injuries, etc" and am now very stressed that something happened and I am not aware of.

He has started sleeping in his enclosure about two weeks ago inside under his light. It took a week for his CHE to be delivered so he was under his red heat light. It is well over 14 inches from his shell as his overhang is two feet deep. I just uploaded pics of his enclosure in that section.

Please help me be able to figure out what is going on here......
Thanks,
Desiree
100_3605.JPG100_3596.JPG100_3599.JPG100_3603.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I know the darker lines are new growth, the cracks are something I have seen in larger Sulcatas. I don't know what causes them are why it happens though, hopefully someone like Tom will know for sure...

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Just a quick update. Took Sheldon in for a check up on his shell. I was starting to get worried. His larger cracks are just normal growth. The white part that concerned me the most was a bacterial infection on his shell. Luckily not shell rot. He gave me a cream to put on it for a couple of weeks; we should be good to go after that.

We caught it early before it got really bad.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Awesome, glad it can be corrected. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.