Shell damage question

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I recently adopted a female Russian tortoise who had apparently been living wild in Virginia for a while.

She's been doing well in NH, but I noticed a bit of damage to her shell in my first inspection. I didn't think much of it at the time, but determined to keep an eye on it.
iMarkup_20200507_103456.jpg
This morning I noticed some skin abrasian that I assume is related to the shell damage.
IMG_20200507_102030.jpg
It's not a real injury yet, but I'd love to avoid that for her... I was thinking about taking off the offending jagged edge with either toenail clippers or a Dremel, but thought I'd check in here first.

Thanks for your help,

Jamie (and Persephone)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You should definitely watch out with that, a lot of members have been recently posting about shell injuring the Scales/Skin.
Wait for for experienced members to come by. Good luck!

LiveLoveLift_1985

Escondido
I recently adopted a female Russian tortoise who had apparently been living wild in Virginia for a while.

She's been doing well in NH, but I noticed a bit of damage to her shell in my first inspection. I didn't think much of it at the time, but determined to keep an eye on it.
View attachment 293701
This morning I noticed some skin abrasian that I assume is related to the shell damage.
View attachment 293702
It's not a real injury yet, but I'd love to avoid that for her... I was thinking about taking off the offending jagged edge with either toenail clippers or a Dremel, but thought I'd check in here first.

Thanks for your help,

Jamie (and Persephone)
I personally would use a soft bristled tooth brush to move any loose debris, soak, then let any loose attached fragments fall off naturally while using a topical ointment for shells. OR clip off any loose attached shell as close to the attachment site.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It was the work of ten seconds with the Dremel... she hated the sound and the vibrating thing so near her head, but it was over pretty quickly.

After the Dremel-work was done, I used a small piece of sandpaper over my finger to smooth/even it off the rest of the way.

#missionaccomplished

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It was the work of ten seconds with the Dremel... she hated the sound and the vibrating thing so near her head, but it was over pretty quickly.

After the Dremel-work was done, I used a small piece of sandpaper over my finger to smooth/even it off the rest of the way.

#missionaccomplished
You better look over your shoulder for the rest of the day.....