shell damage HELP

Debbie2468

Location (City and/or State)
Rhondda south Wales
Hi all recently had a horse field tortoise which has damage to his shell. Any suggestions what I can do to help with it repair. We regularly bath him but I have noticed little chips coming off damaged area. He has lots of UV light and given mixed varied diet putting on weight and very active in and out of enclosure ( loves a little explore around living room) . I have attached a few photos 20151226_153447.jpg20151226_153454.jpg

Attachments

• 20151226_153502.jpg
    20151226_153502.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20151226_153454.jpg
    20151226_153454.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This looks like the type of damage you see when the heat source or light is too close to the top of the carapace and it gets burned. There's nothing to do about it now, as the damage is done. Just continue to feed a good diet, provide heat and water and exercise, and hopefully new shell will grow under those spots eventually. Nothing we add topically helps new growth in those areas.

Debbie2468

Rhondda south Wales
Thanks we were told he had been bit en before we had him and that's what caused the damage but hopefully plenty of tlc and and he'll grow out of it :- ) thanks for reply

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, they probably said that so they wouldn't look like bad parents. When a tortoise is bitten, most of the damage is on the edges of the shell, with puncture marks where your tortoise's damage is. But, oh well, whatever!! You're right, he will grow out of it, but it takes a very long, long time, so don't get in a hurry.

Debbie2468

Rhondda south Wales
Thanks i will continue with plenty of TLC :)

No, they probably said that so they wouldn't look like bad parents. When a tortoise is bitten, most of the damage is on the edges of the shell, with puncture marks where your tortoise's damage is. But, oh well, whatever!! You're right, he will grow out of it, but it takes a very long, long time, so don't get in a hurry.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
H Debbie
Nadolig Llawen i chi!
I hope the shell damage will soon become less obvious.
If you haven't already seen it have a look at the horsefield/Russian caresheet under the Species Specific section which will tell you all the best temps, humidity, diet and substrate etc to help.