Shell damage

Location (City and/or State)
Huachuca city az
I picked up two 11 year old sulcattas. They are brothers together since hatch. They fought bad. Both have significant shell damage but one is way worse. Since I'm not an idiot they are now separated. But is there anything i can do for them? I noticed it feels hot (or warmer anyway) in the areas where the damage is so I'm assuming they lose heat and can't afford to do that in the winter. Will the shells ever mend on their own? Also i read they need soaked regularly but that's hard to do when it's cold....???20231118_090540.jpg20231118_090544.jpg20231118_090547.jpg20231118_090552.jpg20231118_090557.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Can we see pictures of the whole tortoises, each one? And soaking daily in warm water is probably the most important thing you can do right now for them. Hope you have the time and resources to deal with this effectively! Thanks!

Huachuca city az
Hi. Can we see pictures of the whole tortoises, each one? And soaking daily in warm water is probably the most important thing you can do right now for them. Hope you have the time and resources to deal with this effectively! Thanks!
I'm not really sure how to accomplish the soaking as they are too heavy to pick up and put in a pool. I can wet the ground? But it'll be kind of cold and so i don't know if they will go in it. i Will try to get pics later after they come out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not really sure how to accomplish the soaking as they are too heavy to pick up and put in a pool. I can wet the ground? But it'll be kind of cold and so i don't know if they will go in it. i Will try to get pics later after they come out
To soak them in winter, you need a large stock tank or cement mixing tub, warm water from the tap, the heat of mid day, and someone to help you lift them in and out.

You can also hydrate them through their food. Wet the food before they eat it and mix in wet foods like cucumber and lettuce to they other better foods. Spineless opuntia pads are also good for hydration.

Keeping them warm shouldn't be an issue with the right housing. Here is an example of how to do a double box with one heater:

Huachuca city az
To soak them in winter, you need a large stock tank or cement mixing tub, warm water from the tap, the heat of mid day, and someone to help you lift them in and out.

You can also hydrate them through their food. Wet the food before they eat it and mix in wet foods like cucumber and lettuce to they other better foods. Spineless opuntia pads are also good for hydration.

Keeping them warm shouldn't be an issue with the right housing. Here is an example of how to do a double box with one heater:
I do feed wet food. I cut back the past few days cause ppl were saying NOT to feed those foods. I will go back to them. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of that damage is old, and what you see now is the new growth keratin. There is nothing you can or need to do about it. It will never look like the original shell.

Last edited: