Shell deformity passed on to hatchling ?

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Does anyone have any idea why a tortoise would have a shell like this.
When I had her,about 5 years ago ,she was 9 y old and I was her 6th or 7th owner,so her history was a bit sketchy,but was told they thought she had been mauled by a dog,but I didn't really think about it too much.
on June 24 she laid her first ever egg,which was double the size of normal eggs.I didn't think it was fertile,but as it was her 1 and only egg I put it in incubator.
A few days ago ,I think it was day 93,it started to hatch,but I could see the yolk sac was huge so wrapped it in kitchen roll,and its sat in incubator since,but where my other hatchlings have straightened out in a couple of days this 1 is hasn't,
So was wondering does anyone think the mother was born that shape,and now passed it on to the baby

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Wow! What an interesting scenario.. it sure looks that way but I’ll be anxious to read everyone else’s thoughts.

Relic

Here
Carapaces can do weird things. I've got a 3-toed box female (45 year captive, and she looked old when I found her) and her scutes, in places, match the bony structure of the carapace, instead of overlapping the sutures as normal. Laid uncounted nests, never found a juvenile with a matching pattern. IMG_5083.jpeg IMG_5084.jpeg

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Carapaces can do weird things. I've got a 3-toed box female (45 year captive, and she looked old when I found her) and her scutes, in places, match the bony structure of the carapace, instead of overlapping the sutures as normal. Laid uncounted nests, never found a juvenile with a matching pattern. View attachment 252860 View attachment 252861

Her shell is beautiful,
Have you ever seen another turtle the same as her ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting. USUALLY when we see the 'shoulder' hump with the slope over the hips it's due to incorrect nutrients/minerals/calcium. This could hold true for the female but not for the baby. Only time will tell if he straightens out or not.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ That is interesting, my first thoughts are that it is just luck or coincidence and not passed down by genetics or DNA. We have one female that has a weird natural shell structure and none of her hatchlings have ever had the same weird structure or characteristics. It will be interesting to hear what some of the more scientific based members say.