Shell FUNGUS VS shell ROT?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Please ad to this post any thoughts you have on this matter.
The term "shell rot" has been used a lot for what is essentially a matter of plain old "shell fungus".
To me these are totally different issues. They require totally different treatments. One is simple and easy to treat with an Antifungal cream. While the other is serious and involves missing shell. Rotting tissue and requires antibiotics and often a veterinarians help.
Shell fungus is caused by the enclosure being too wet. It's simple. Topical and easy to treat with an Antifungal cream. Shell fungus is very, very common and is probably 95% of the cases we see called shell rot.
Shell rot is started by a bite or other wound or by the tortoise sitting in its own waste, etc. Bacteria sets in and a festering and infected wound results. Often with some shell missing and a horrible rotting smell. This requires anti biotics. An Antifungal would have no effect. This has no quick fix and probably needs a veterinarians assistance.
Shell rot is very uncommon.
I feel uncomfortable not pointing these differences out from time to time. Usually what we are talking about is a simple fungal issue.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may be correct but it's been called shell rot before we joined. Its more common for people to catch seeing there are so many threads about it.
Opening a can of worms to me trying to change it.
Either way, members ask for advice and if it's actually worse then what the forum knows as typical shell rot, then a vet visit is usually recommended. But not for shell rot as is know here.